Corydora Paleatus Fry All Male?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lisayp72

Registered Member
Jul 28, 2021
Hi I currently have 10 Peppered Cory fry of differing ages and all are turning out to be male. I just wondered do water parameters influence gender?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I don't know how you can sex them when small...IME it can take a year or more to tell...but if you get fry you must have a female or 2, lol.

There is an idea that cichlid genders are affected by temp but I've never heard of that with corys...it may be true, I dunno, an interesting thought...

Lisayp72

Registered Member
Jul 28, 2021
I don't know how you can sex them when small...IME it can take a year or more to tell...but if you get fry you must have a female or 2, lol.

There is an idea that cichlid genders are affected by temp but I've never heard of that with corys...it may be true, I dunno, an interesting thought...
Sorry I didn't explain properly. I started with one female and 2 male and they have produced the 10 babies which range from 2 months old to 6 months old. The fins are really high like the male ones I have and they have been trying to mate with the female (their mother).

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, I see.

You could try keeping them at a cooler temp, paleatus can handle (really prefer) 60s-low 70s. Might be easier in winter than summer. That's the idea with cichlids is higher temp=males, cooler=females. It'd be a fun experiment & maybe save some heater electricty if you use 1.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store