corydoras help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tiger_cory

i'm the pie
Jul 5, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Real Name
hello
Today my idiot little brother wanted to buy some Julii cories. I told him that our substrate was too sharp and big, and that we don't even have test kits so i didn't know if they'll make it. He bought them anyways- and the worst part is that he only bought two of them. I was quite sure that they wouldn't make it. He even thinks that cories eat algae wafers and i couldn't convince him that they ate tablet foods. How can i prolong these poor fishes' lifespans?

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
I had a similar situation. I've been keeping fish for years and NOW my wife wants an Elephant nose. I told her my substrate was too sharp for it and would have to change it to sand.

You know what they need so try to accommodate them. Keep an eye on their barbels before you purchase more. You should have a test kit anyway and food is no biggie, they pretty much eat anything. If you do witness any damage, take them back or rehome them and explain to your brother why responsible fish keepers don't run out and buy fish just because we want them.

Since I'm the responsible fish keeper in my household, she (wife) took my word for it and didn't buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Adding a couple more (to have five minimum in total) would be advisable, but not until you are certain they will be OK. Most aquarium gravel is not sharp, though some can be. I had corys, dozens of them and wild caught too, over fine gravel for many years. But now that I have sand I have seen a difference in their behaviours, and I certainly recommend sand with corys. This too has to be smooth, like play sand.

As for food, offer sinking foods in a variety of 2-3 or so. One should be a veggie-based food, like Omega One's veggie rounds or similar. The shrimp pellets are good nutrition too. Although not vegetarian, the veggie food is a good idea for their health, and there is some "meat" in these too. Corys will not eat algae per say, but they may graze on it for other microscopic foods. They cannot survive on "leftovers" but must have specific foods like those I've mentioned.

BTW, the "julii" corys are likely not Corydoras julii, but probably C. trilineatus. This mis-naming is widespread. Doesn't matter, the fish are very similar and have no contrary needs.

Byron.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I agree with the above. I can also suggest placing several large pieces of slate or flat smooth garden stones on the bottom to help keep the corys off the gravel.

Don't know what type of other fish are in the tank, but I do know corys love micro worms. Most smaller fish livebearers, tetras and barbs will eat them. Corys also do well on consistent 2-4 x wkly feedings of live baby brine shrimp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store