Corydoras ID...help?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishcrazy2

AC Members
Mar 24, 2013
Maryland
Not sure what these are thinking False Julii, but not sure if they are false Julii or the true Juliis. Honestly, I don't know the difference. Or are they Corydoras leopardus I have had these about a year, maybe longer. These guys are about 4 inches each. Please excuse the BBA.

cory catfish1.jpgcory catfish2.jpg

cory catfish1.jpg cory catfish2.jpg

Last edited:

fishcrazy2

AC Members
Mar 24, 2013
Maryland
Add: Here are some pics that are a little better. One looks different from the rest.

Cory Catfish3.jpg
This one has more of a connected pattern

The rest look like this one:
Cory Catfish4.jpg

Cory Catfish3.jpg Cory Catfish4.jpg

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Maybe Sterbai cories? Imnnotntoongood on OD with cories but you have some beatlutiful fish.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Are you certain of the length, at four inches? I am not aware of any Corydoras species attaining beyond three inches (though there certainly may be) and this is rare; most are around 2 to 2.5 inches. There are of course the three species formerly classified in the genus Brochis, but these donot have the spotted pattern. The "giant" corydoradinae are those in the genera Scleromystax and Megalechis, but none of the described nor attributed species in these genera have this patterning.

C. leopardus (3 inch max) is one possible; mine look different, but the spotted and barred species can be extremely variable in their patterning. Another that comes to mind is C. gomezi but this one maxes at 2.4 inches.

This is obviously a long-snout species, which narrows them down, so keep that in mind as you search photos.

Byron.

Last edited:

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I agree with Byron. I cannot think of a cory that grows to 4 inches. There use to be a cory (Barbabus) that grows to about 6+ inces, but now is in it's own group (yours is not a Barbadus). Looks like a "False Julie", but the long snout would make it not either a true Julie or false (Trilineatus).

With the long snout, spot on dorsal fin, Lateral dots on tail, I would guess GOMEZI.

I have the "Big" Cory book ( well, actually the Callichthyidae book) by Dr. Burgess which has over 200 species, and none of them look "exactly" like yours.

But, either way---Nice fish. :thumbsup:

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
I agree with Byron. I cannot think of a cory that grows to 4 inches. There use to be a cory (Barbabus) that grows to about 6+ inces, but now is in it's own group (yours is not a Barbadus). Looks like a "False Julie", but the long snout would make it not either a true Julie or false (Trilineatus).

With the long snout, spot on dorsal fin, Lateral dots on tail, I would guess GOMEZI.

I have the "Big" Cory book ( well, actually the Callichthyidae book) by Dr. Burgess which has over 200 species, and none of them look "exactly" like yours.

But, either way---Nice fish. :thumbsup:

According to the sources, the spotting on the upper half of the two species is distinctive to each. C. gomezi has individual "spots" whereas C. leopardus has more of a reticulated pattern with some of the spots joined together, which is apparent here. There are also only six bands on the caudal fin of C. gomezi; the photos here show more I think. But having said all that, if one looks at the photos on Planet Catfish for these two species, these distinctions seem to mix together from photo to photo. And PC is a reliable site, though one cannot always speak for photos anywhere.

Jessica, is that Burgess book the Colored Atlas of Minature Catfish published by TFH? Or another? Problem with any book is that with the new species being discovered, dozens of which are not yet described and thus named, books are out of date by the time they are printed. I got the All Corydoras Aqua-Log book back in the late 1990's, which then contained every discovered species, but I have not kept up with the supplements (you need to subscribe to the newletter to receive these) so while still a good reference it is sadly out of date with subsequent species.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Jessica, is that Burgess book the Colored Atlas of Minature Catfish published by TFH? Problem with any book is that with the new species being discovered, books are out of date by the time they are printed.
Yes, Byron, that is the book.

I agree, with changes and new species and discoveries all the time, ect, ect It is very difficult to keep up. I am not a scientist or doctor on fish, so it is not "Really" that important to me. The hobby is fun for me, I do not want to make it my life. :)

fishcrazy2

AC Members
Mar 24, 2013
Maryland
Thanks everyone. These guys are huge about the size of my Swordtails, but fatter. I have Albinos and Peppered are they are huge compared to them. Almost 1-2 inches bigger. I got these from someone whose wanted to change their stock. They really never knew what they were. When I got them a year ago they were about 2 inches each. They haven't spawned yet and I can't really sex them easily like I can sex the Albinos and Peppered. All of them look the same size.

My male Peppered and Albinos are about 1.5 inches. The females are about 2.0-2.5 inches. After measuring they are about 3.0-3.5 inches. These might be this big because they all maybe female.

I have people saying they are C. leopardus because of face shape. These guys/gals are big. I will try to get a picture of them for size reference.

After looking at photos their face shape doesn't look like Julii or the false Julii, but then again I have no clue :)

Last edited:

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
Yes, Byron, that is the book.

I agree, with changes and new species and discoveries all the time, ect, ect It is very difficult to keep up. I am not a scientist or doctor on fish, so it is not "Really" that important to me. The hobby is fun for me, I do not want to make it my life. :)
Being retired, I have been able to spend more time than I otherwise would.:clap: I have always been fascinated by where my fish come from and how they live, and I have had a love for research since my university days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store