Crazy well water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bartley

AC Members
Feb 15, 2017
Bowman ND
My well water tastes really salty. We run it through RO before we drink it.
pH 8.4
GH nearly 0
KH 42!

First of all is that even possible? I used brand new API master test kit.
I am guessing that is for sure not ideal for a freshwater tank.

I have 2 other wells on the farm that I will test as soon as I can get out to them through the snow. I am hoping that one of these is better quality water.

Just wanted to run this by someone. No real question I guess other than is the saltiness and high KH related and is that detrimental to fish?
Our water is very soft(feels like you can't rinse the soap off your hands) so low GH makes sense to me.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
By salty--NaCL, or other salts? It will impact the fish you can keep. a TDS meter might be a good idea as well, since there are likely dissolved solids that will impact the fish you can keep. You might be best off using partial RO to aim for something a little lower pH/KH. That would reduce the TDS as well as any salts.

Bartley

AC Members
Feb 15, 2017
Bowman ND
I don't know what kind of salt. Just tastes salty. I can use RO if I have to. I am hoping I have a well with better water out in the pasture and not have to worry about it.
I am sure TDS are likely through the roof on our house well.

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
i can't seem to find any groundwater data for Bowman county. have you ever had it analyzed? the county does that for free in many places

Bartley

AC Members
Feb 15, 2017
Bowman ND
Does have a sulfur smell to it a little. I haven't personally tested it but it was tested at some point I'm sure just not by me. I might get it tested. I know the other 2 wells don't taste as bad but I haven't checked them for kh and gh yet.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Side issue--- Have you checked your nitrate? I know that can be an issue especially in agricultural area wells. & then there's "seasonal" variations possible.

Bartley

AC Members
Feb 15, 2017
Bowman ND
Nitrate is fine. These are deep wells so contamination from ground level shouldn't be an issue. The other 2 wells away from the house are newer and a lot deeper. They also don't have the salty taste to them. I don't know if I understand it all perfectly but I think they are tapping into completely different water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store