crypt grow out tank idea

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
For the color change, have you compared parameters between the 2 tanks? and have you compared the amount of lighting?

If you have them in cups, it should be pretty easy to increase the amount of light, by standing the pots on rocks or something, to get them closer to the light itself.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
For lighting I have 2 x T-5 NOs on 55g, the 20g long tank they came from has 1 T-5 HO but of course 55 is 20", the 20 12". A long time ago I had used a PAR meter...all tanks were similar (not much, lol) but I don't recall which lights & bulbs I had then. I'll look for the data.

I have not checked parameters yet, I'm taking the day off. Learning to post pics was enough for today :p

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Lights are different but so are tank heights. 55g (20") 2 x T-5 NO; 20g long (12") 1 x T-5 HO. I had used a PAR meter a couple years ago but I don't recall the lights or bulbs at that time. I see if I can find the data.

I have not checked the parameters yet, I'm taking the day off. Learning how to post pics on AC was enough for today :p

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
It is just a thought for something to check.

You deserve the rest of the weekend off.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I give whatever I can... ;)

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Pictures!!! Yay! Thanks and they are fine. All this fuss and they are just fine, pfft.

So you moved some of the Affinis I gave you from your 20 long to your 55 and then over night it lost color? Or were these ones you had already? Sudden color loss like that seems really odd but if they were mine then moving then so soon after shipping could make more sense. Is the color temp very different between the 2 tank lights? Did you see them being red IN the 55? Just trying to think of everything. The tank they came from originally (if they are mine) is about 72F BTW, unheated tank. And they will probably loss all those leaves anyways. :oops:

SUPER tired after my trip but wanted to check this out. I will re-read tomorrow to see what I missed.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
The affinis in this tank (all from you) are melting, as is the usteriana, also a couple parva & wendtii? leaves. Funny thing is NONE of the crypts from you in other tanks melted except maybe a leaf or 2.

We've all had crypts melt, I'm not worried. I'm sorry I didn't get pics of the overnight fade out. I had added a third red to see if it was lighting, but no. My guess is it was either temps or moving them twice so soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store