crypt grow out tank idea

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Since the other ones in other tanks haven't melted (yet) I am more convinced that it is just a reaction to different parameters. IME the bigger the difference in parameters the faster/harder the melt so maybe this tank is just different enough from other tanks to cause that color loss. Like you said, melt happens, nothing to worry about. :) I am excited to see how all these crypts look in your tanks after settling! (And dougall's too)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Everything except most of the parva has melted :( including S. "Belem" . Usually I have only a few new crypts at a time so if they melt it doesn't look quite as awful as a tank full of dying leaves, sniff. I'm not posting pics of this mess, lol, maybe when there's some new growth to show. Still, nice healthy roots!! Let's see how long it takes for some rebounding...

Oh, as for ferts, I'm doing Jobe's Palm & Fern sticks & kind of a half+ dose of EI dry for the stems. The separarted hygro with bba looks a bit better in it's outdoor little container & drop of Excel. Meh, whatever happens to the needy stems, it's not my focus. But they'd be nice if I can grow them.

I'm thinking positive :D !!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Should have mentioned it earlier (again) that I find a good carbon supply helps limit melt. Too late for that now but bumping up your excel should help kick start the new growth too.

Even if you don't want to share them you should take pics now for your own reference later. Looking back at my melt pictures to where I am now is very rewarding and encouraging.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
When I saw this I immediately added Excel but forgot to say. I did about 1.5x dose. I'm keeping the water level lowish so I can garden with dry sleeves.

I agree on taking pics of the meltiness. I'm just not that into photography & posting pics; I don't want to have to do it often. I was quite proud I figured it out at all ;) the tutorial wasn't anything like what I actually did. I've only ever posted pics a couple times on other boards & had to do photobucket to upload them...not enough to learn long term... & then there's the camera downloading & dealing with my husband's "help" :rolleyes: somewhere between "you figure it out", the idiot's lecture while telling me my computer is different than his & "gimme it" depending on his mood.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I'm too lazy to even use a camera... It's cellphone directly to Photobucket, and then maybe linked here... if I ever take any pictures.

so you're ahead of me :)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, you smartphone folks, LOL. Can you remember flip-phones? That's us...But it was much easier to do the AC direct link to my computer pics than the photobucket thing. I like it!...for what that's worth,...lame luddites here...You posted your "broad" crypt pics, I bet it took you less time & effort than for me to post my pics here, ha! I'm a work in progress...but I am making the effort once in a while...Just for you & Jen & anyone else that might read along with us on my cryptic journey.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
dealing with my husband's "help" :rolleyes: somewhere between "you figure it out", the idiot's lecture while telling me my computer is different than his & "gimme it" depending on his mood.
lol I know exactly what you mean!

I use my camera, pop my memory card into my PC, and then just drag and drop them right here. I find it SO much easier than using photobucket.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Oh, you smartphone folks, LOL. Can you remember flip-phones? That's us...But it was much easier to do the AC direct link to my computer pics than the photobucket thing. I like it!...for what that's worth,...lame luddites here...You posted your "broad" crypt pics, I bet it took you less time & effort than for me to post my pics here, ha! I'm a work in progress...but I am making the effort once in a while...Just for you & Jen & anyone else that might read along with us on my cryptic journey.
I'm like a child, I NEED pictures lol

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm like a child, I NEED pictures lol
Phllbtt! I'm gonna try, just for you!! Melty pics with recovery pics is the best I'm shooting for ATM. Did I say co2 problems? yeah, that's my issues...along with husband's expert help...nuff said! blah, blah! Maybe tomorrow...Basketball now!!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, neither of my gift regulators seems to work :( I'm using Excel (my club's version) for now. More parva melting...but J. "pink" still has a good leaf or 2:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store