Crypts in a paludarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
My 10g is full of Cryptocoryne wendtii, which are starting to send up baby plants through the gravel, and I was wondering about moving some of them into a new tank when I came up with the idea of a small (10g - 15g)paludarium. It's just daydreaming right now (I'd have to convince my husband that we have room for another tank ;)), but I thought I'd post and see if anyone here has done something similar.

I have a picture in my head of a riverbank type tank, ~2/3 full - substrate raised up towards one side/corner, maybe a log that reaches out of the water with plants on it, and plants that are growing both under and out of the water.

I've read that Crypts can be grown emersed as well as submersed, but I'm not sure how I'd go about making the transition - would the plants lose all their leaves and regrow if the water level was gradually lowered?

Any ideas, thoughts etc. are welcome.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
when I do my water changes I notice that the underwater leaves don't have the structure to support them selves out of the water. so from some stand point they would need different leaves but the old leaves would probably just stay just under the surface unless you really let them dry their crowns.

From looking at Kasselmann's Aquarium Plants I've noticed that some are more aquatic than others, with most growing in extremely moist to bog conditions. High humidity would be expected in such conditions. the most common cryptocorynes available are those that are easily reproduced and spread in emersed conditions with a constant water level submerging all or part of the rooting medium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store