Cuban tree frog

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bottomfeeder2

Lancelet
Aug 31, 2008
My friend who lives in Brooklyn NY found this tree frog in a potted plant in his backyard. These guys are originally from the Caribbean, but have spread throughout the neotropics and are actually quite invasive. The largest females can be five inches in length, and they will feed on things like other frogs, small rodents, birds, lizards, and even snakes. They also seem to be quite toxic - I saw someone get hit in the face with a jumping Cuban tree frog in Florida, and they had a nasty reaction where the frog hit their eye.

I have no idea how it ended up in a backyard in Brooklyn. Someone must have bought a plant imported from the neotropics that included a hidden hitchhiker He has a really cool personality and learned to eat from tongs within the first week. Can be tough to keep contained, though... likes too make the mad dash out of the enclosure.

I uploaded way too many pictures because none of them are any good.

IMG_1563.JPG

IMG_1565.JPG

IMG_1566.JPG

IMG_1567.JPG

IMG_1568.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG

tumblr_npyjcimNuk1shq60zo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nqbdantfMF1shq60zo1_500.jpg

tumblr_nqdr3j84KX1shq60zo1_500.jpg

tumblr_nqoxkg86m01shq60zo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nqoxkg86m01shq60zo6_1280.jpg

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I agree, it most likely came in on some plants. I've talked to garden centers and they tell me stories of finding tree frogs, anoles and house geckos on imported foliage from the the southern section of the country.

Bottomfeeder2

Lancelet
Aug 31, 2008
I believe that's how knight anoles got to south Florida.

Earlier today I was talking with some friends about how sometimes wandering spiders and palm vipers get sent around the world in banana shipments :p

This frog is getting tamer by the day. He figured out feeding from the tongs in a matter of seconds...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store