Cursed! Killed 3 Bettas! Help me!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurtanius21

Registered Member
Feb 6, 2019
I am so disappointed. I am doing something seriously wrong.

I am a Betta fish wannabe owner. I inherited a Betta fish from a coworker. He was in a 3 gallon tank for about 6 months, then died. I have no idea what his age was before inheriting him, so I was ok with his lifespan in my newbie hands. I am a first time fish tank hobbyist.

But in trying to replace him, ive killed 3 Bettas in the last week! I’ve replaced the water, even tried using anti-fungal API products and their anti-bacterial line. I’ve done some reading online to diagnose what I’m doing wrong.

Tank setup. It’s 3 gallons, with 2 live plants. I got a cheapo filter that came with the tank and a small heater set to 77 degrees.

Death: the fish get covered with some sort of fuzzy white mold looking stuff. I have read online that it could be either a fungus or some kind of Columnaris bacteria. I tried both API products and they haven’t worked to save the latest Betta. These Bettas all die within 3 DAYs of putting them in the tank. Each time I thoroughly remove all the water for the next one.

Thoughts: did the 2 live plants I ordered carry the parasite?

Did the dead fish’s rotting corpse from the first death permanently contaminate the gravel with Letha bacteria?

What can I do to fix this awful trend? I really want to keep a Betta, but I am sad to be killing them! Please help! I have tested my water, and everything seems ok, except for a high PH of 8.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
What are the exact test results? Did you inherit the tank as well as the fish? Is the fuzzy growth on the fish before, or only seen after they die?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I would do a serious tank cleaning with bleach, lots of dechlorinator & a new round of cycling (see "before your get fish" in the newbie forum) before trying a betta again.

Something is wrong; like OG asked, what are the test results? (you can often get them free at a shop, but you need a liquid test kit of your own). Dead fish can quickly grow fungus looking stuff...not necessarily a cause of death.

How often to change water & how much each time?

VampireCrabs

AC Members
Apr 11, 2020
I would upgrade my tank to a five gallon, take the plants out, leave the gravel out and just have a bare tank. See if a betta can survive in that. If they can add the gravel back. See if they can survive. If so then I would take the plants out for good.

VampireCrabs

AC Members
Apr 11, 2020
I am so disappointed. I am doing something seriously wrong.

I am a Betta fish wannabe owner. I inherited a Betta fish from a coworker. He was in a 3 gallon tank for about 6 months, then died. I have no idea what his age was before inheriting him, so I was ok with his lifespan in my newbie hands. I am a first time fish tank hobbyist.

But in trying to replace him, ive killed 3 Bettas in the last week! I’ve replaced the water, even tried using anti-fungal API products and their anti-bacterial line. I’ve done some reading online to diagnose what I’m doing wrong.

Tank setup. It’s 3 gallons, with 2 live plants. I got a cheapo filter that came with the tank and a small heater set to 77 degrees.

Death: the fish get covered with some sort of fuzzy white mold looking stuff. I have read online that it could be either a fungus or some kind of Columnaris bacteria. I tried both API products and they haven’t worked to save the latest Betta. These Bettas all die within 3 DAYs of putting them in the tank. Each time I thoroughly remove all the water for the next one.

Thoughts: did the 2 live plants I ordered carry the parasite?

Did the dead fish’s rotting corpse from the first death permanently contaminate the gravel with Letha bacteria?

What can I do to fix this awful trend? I really want to keep a Betta, but I am sad to be killing them! Please help! I have tested my water, and everything seems ok, except for a high PH of 8.
I just watched a video that I found may help you: (SWEARING WARNING!)
Did you buy them from PetSmart? They might have scooped water up from one of those tanks and plopped the betta's in.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Thread is over one year old.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com