Cycling new aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aen

AC Members
Apr 7, 2020
I am cycling a 5 gallon tank I picked up second hand for a future betta. The water is quite clowdy and dark. The water also has a very light purple hue. There is a piece of drift wood with 2 java ferns attached as well as an live plant in a pot. The water was dechlorinated and bacteria was introduced with bottle cultures and whatever lived in the filter. Is this a sign that I should start over or just keep the faith?20200701_000717.jpg

20200701_000825.jpg

Attachments

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
I am cycling a 5 gallon tank I picked up second hand for a future betta. The water is quite clowdy and dark. The water also has a very light purple hue. There is a piece of drift wood with 2 java ferns attached as well as an live plant in a pot. The water was dechlorinated and bacteria was introduced with bottle cultures and whatever lived in the filter. Is this a sign that I should start over or just keep the faith?
the water might be light purple because of the light (blue light)?
did you clean the gravel or the tank, since it is second handed, before adding water to it? check the filter too.

Aen

AC Members
Apr 7, 2020
I didn't clean the gravel but I did clean the tank, the water is purple came before I added the filter

Apr 2, 2002
New York
In what sort of pot is the potted plant ? If it is in the basket like container with rock wool, then it likely came with a decent amount of fertilizer in the wool. That can lead to a bacterial bloom in the water making it look cloudy. This is not the same bacteria which you want to handle ammonia etc.

What bottled bacteria product did you use?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
In what sort of pot is the potted plant ? If it is in the basket like container with rock wool, then it likely came with a decent amount of fertilizer in the wool. That can lead to a bacterial bloom in the water making it look cloudy. This is not the same bacteria which you want to handle ammonia etc.
No, aquatic plants grown in hydroculture don't get fertilizer added with the rock wool.
For how long did you have this tank set up ?

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Potted plants are usually cultivated above the waterline in the nursery, and they are kept in a pot with rock wool. As a rule, these plants are only in water up to their roots, whereas the rest of the plant grows above the waterline. These plants grow fast and are healthy, they are free from algae and other pests. The rock wool itself does not contain any nutrients, but it is known to hold on to the nutrients in the water, which is heavily fertilized in the nursery. For this reason, the rock wool around the plant roots needs to be removed as completely as possible before the plant is put into the aquarium.
from https://www.aquasabi.com/aquascaping-wiki_aquatic-plants_preparing-aquatic-plants

SafeStart will cycle a tank fairly fast as long as:
1. It has been stored and shipped so it does not freeze nor get much above about 100+F for any length of time.
2. It is used according to the recommendations for how much to add to a tank.
3. There is not too much ammonia and/or nitrite present in the water.

SafeStart contains live bacteria which need an ammonia source. Normally, that would be some fish added soon after the bacteria went in. I would add ammonia to produce 2 ppm and then add the bacteria Turn off the lights and run the filter. Test ammonia after 24 hours amd if needed 12 hours later. Only add fish at 0 ppm for both ammonia and nitrite after the first or secomd (if needed) tests. If you add no fish, you will need to be adding ammonia to insure the bacteria do not go dormant. I would suggest adding half the amount you used to get 2 ppm above and then only add it every other day. When you are ready to add fish, do a big water change and then add them.

Bear in mind your plants will consume some of the ammonia. Plants can do this a faster rate than bacteria. However, any ammonia plants use will not make any nitrite (so no nitrate either). So you should be ready for fish using Safe start pretty quickly.

Btw- water changes will help clear up cloudy water.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
By the time the plants are sold to the customer, most if not all of the fertilizer in the water has been used up/leaked out of the rock wool. It holds a tiny amount anyway. Though that doesn't cloud the water, that is most likely caused by the nitrifying bacteria settling or dust in the substrate, something like that.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2002
New York
If one buys their plants from a nursery operation rather than a retail store, they will be coming directly from water with lots of fertilizers. Almost any plant site I have ever visited reecommends removing the rock wool before paling the plant in the substrate.

Nitryfying bacteria do not live in the water, they live inside a biofilm which attaches to hard surfaces. They are not there alone and the biofilm supports a host of other bacteria. There is a symbiotic relationship in all of this. Where the most nitrifying bacteria will be in a tank is a function of where they can get what they need- ammonia/nitrite, oxygen and then some minerals as well such as iron among other things. Moreover, the nitrifiers cannot multiply rapidly enough to cloud the water even if they did live in it. Other heterotrophic bacteria which do live in the water can double in minutes while the nitrifiers need anywhere from about 7 to 12 hours under optimal conditions.

If you are curious about biofilms and nitrifiers, have a read here:

PMCID: PMC368389
PMID: 15006789
Ecophysiological Interaction between Nitrifying Bacteria and Heterotrophic Bacteria in Autotrophic Nitrifying Biofilms as Determined by Microautoradiography-Fluorescence In Situ Hybridization
Tomonori Kindaichi, Tsukasa Ito, and Satoshi Okabe*
Appl Environ Microbiol. 2004 Mar; 70(3): 1641–1650.
doi: 10.1128/AEM.70.3.1641-1650.2004
from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC368389/

Bacterial Adhesion: Seen Any Good Biofilms Lately?
W. Michael Dunne, Jr.*
Clin Microbiol Rev. 2002 Apr; 15(2): 155–166. doi: 10.1128/CMR.15.2.155-166.2002
from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC118072/

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I can tell from experience if you put plants directly from the nursery in a holding tank, they do not cloud the water. The rock wool only holds a tiny amount of water, and the water in the nursery isn't cloudy from the fertilizer either. It isn't that heavily fertilized.
When one adds bacteria from the Safe Start they are in the water first before they can get to a biofilm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store