Cycling question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Freshwatermollies

AC Members
Mar 14, 2020
Hello! So I recently got a new tank and got some sludge from a previous tank that was up and running and some filter media from a previous tank as well. How long do I need to wait till I can get fish in there? And should I still test it daily to see if the ammonia and all the other stuff spikes?
THANK YOU!

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I would do daily testing (keep a record) until zero ammonia, zero nitrite and some level above 5 PPM of nitrate when doing a fish less cycle.

What size is the new tank and how mature was the media and gunk from the previous tank?

Too many variables without knowing more details.

Freshwatermollies

AC Members
Mar 14, 2020
Media was up for few years so pretty mature and 5.5 gal tank before adding the media this morning I was at ammonia1.0, nitrite 0, Nitrate 20.

Mr Fish Face

AC Members
Mar 15, 2020
still not really converting its at .5 nitrite at 0 and nitrate at 20. Should it be going faster?
Considering the tank just set up, I'm not terribly surprised by it. With time that conversion will go faster and faster. See how the levels are tomorrow morning. If it cycled fully you should be ok to lightly stock the tank.

Reactions: Freshwatermollies

Freshwatermollies

AC Members
Mar 14, 2020
Considering the tank just set up, I'm not terribly surprised by it. With time that conversion will go faster and faster. See how the levels are tomorrow morning. If it cycled fully you should be ok to lightly stock the tank.
Great thanks should I do a water change too or no?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store