Dechlorinator Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Luca Brazzi

AC Members
Oct 12, 2002
Visit site
When adding new water to a tank we all know that youve got to dechlorinate somehow. Usually we add dechlorinator as we add the water (1 drop/gal or whatever). Is it possible to overdechlorinate today, in anticipation for adding water over some period of time? For example, add enough dechlorinator today to dechlorinate 20 gallons, then slowly add the 20 gallons of chlorinated water over a week without adding more dechlorinator? In otherwords will the excess dechlorinator added on day 1 simply wait around in the tank until more chlorinated water is present?

Sharyl C

Mola and Me
I would guess its not good to do that for a couple of reasons - the first being Sodium thiosulfate (active ingredient in most dechlors) binds with chlorine so well...what's to stop it from binding with other stuff that's similar. i'm not a chemist or anything...but I recently had a problem with goiter (enlarged thyroid) in a group of fundulids and when I stopped using dechlor and just allowed the chlorine to off gas from the tap water over night, I no longer had the problem.

Also, you can OD on sodium thio. I bleached and big tank (1000gallons) once and wanted to dechlor the water a little before sending it down the drain. I through in a couple of handfuls of crystal dechlor in and a yellow parcipitate formed and a sulfur "egg smell" permiated my workplace for the rest of the day...thank goodness for good ventilation, open doors, and breezy days.

a final thought...its not that difficult to add a couple of drops to dechlor the water as you add it...is it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store