Diatoms or Cyano?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

firstdon

AC Members
Apr 13, 2005
Queens, New York
Hi guys
My 36 gallon Nano has been running since November of last year.
In February 2016 I replaced my black sand with the Natures Ocean White Live Sand.
In March I noticed some brown diatoms on sandbed. I didn't think nothing of it. Did a water change and siphoned sandbed. It's kind of like a layer that I can easily scoop off the top of sandbed , but this keeps coming back week after week. I run purigen , phosguard and a skimmer . I never had diatoms that last this long on previous tanks . I run maxspect LEDs on 75 percent , I use RODI water of course . I've heard it just could be silicates . I'm not sure. Do diatoms last 3 months ?
I'm going to try an attach a video or picture
Thanks
Steve

image.jpeg

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
You need to give your tank some time. It is still in the baby shoes. Got any other filtration than the protein skimmer, purigen, and phosguard? Any reason you switched to live sand other than looks? Any cleanup crew?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
are you sure it is Diatoms? Look like cyano to me, but picture is not clear.

firstdon

AC Members
Apr 13, 2005
Queens, New York
are you sure it is Diatoms? Look like cyano to me, but picture is not clear.
Thanks for the replies guys
Yes Duckie I have a cleanup crew some hermit crabs, 2 nassarius snails and 2 Turbos. And yes the change over from the sands was just purely aesthetics. I have no other filtration, the tank is not drilled
Sorry Tanker, I don't think I could upload a more clearer picture lol but yes thats why I was asking sure it could be cyano

I did notice this last night however. I keep some of my RODI water in my old Nutri-Seawater jugs. I tested that water in the jugs and the TDS was off the charts LOL. Im wondering is that just salt that was still on the inside of the jug getting picked up or was it the plastic seeping into the water. Hmmmmm

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Thanks for the replies guys
Yes Duckie I have a cleanup crew some hermit crabs, 2 nassarius snails and 2 Turbos. And yes the change over from the sands was just purely aesthetics. I have no other filtration, the tank is not drilled
Unfortunately when you changed the sand out you did upset your system and basically started over. You will probably go though all the nasties again you already went through until you changed the sand out. Drilling the tank is not necessary to add e.g. a refugium to greatly help stabilize your system. Even a hang on back refugium will have a positive impact, especially once critters move in (bristleworms and copepods are great detrius remover, a dense algae will act as some mechanical filtration as well). Good that you have some cleanup, not sure if it is enough. But too early to tell yet what is missing - will depend on your system. Wait until you are done with all your nasties to see if you need more for algae or detrius control.

Sorry Tanker, I don't think I could upload a more clearer picture lol but yes thats why I was asking sure it could be cyano
Now that I have a chance to look at it on my computer (not on cell phone), that picture is pretty big. I tend to agree with tanker tanker that it does look more like cyano than diatom. Anyway, not matter if it is diatom or cyano, they both need light. You could try to reduce your light period and/or intensity and see if that helps. Also time will help too - you might not get clean sand for many months to come.

I did notice this last night however. I keep some of my RODI water in my old Nutri-Seawater jugs. I tested that water in the jugs and the TDS was off the charts LOL. Im wondering is that just salt that was still on the inside of the jug getting picked up or was it the plastic seeping into the water. Hmmmmm
I don't think that is it. The plastic shouldn't disintegrate that fast and residual salt wouldn't make a big difference. I would blame the source of the water first. You should check the water every time when you buy.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Take a teaspoon of t sand and Algae and put into a clear bag (sandwich bag is OK) or container. Give it a mild very gentle-shake. If Algae comes off==Cyano, if sticks to sand==Diatoms

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store