dirt flowing all over the tank ... solution plz..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vasanth

Registered Member
Mar 21, 2016
HI GUYS .... ANY SUGGESTION ON BELOW ....
my planted tank gets a bit of dirt all over the plants and and specially in water it keeps floating ... when i reduce the water flow ... there s no movement of water and its equal to stagnant water ..... other wise the water flow is high .... how to cntrol it ... posted pics here for clear picture of the issue iam facing .....
plus i have a dymax mini heater ... what should be temp in it ... 32 is ok ??
KINDLY HELP ME ...

20160321_202833.jpg

20160321_203207.jpg

20160321_203212.jpg

20160321_203227.jpg

20160321_203235.jpg

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Why is your filter not removing the dirt?

vasanth

Registered Member
Mar 21, 2016
my tank filter is working fine i guess as i clean it up every 3rd day ... and it accumulates a lot of dirt there ...iam wondering is it becoz of the water flow - the sand is being moved or so ... but if i lower the water flow the water gets stagnant....

lousyweather

AC Members
Feb 26, 2016
Please excuse my ignorance, but maybe folks could help were you to provide more info. What kind of filtration, substrate? Other parameters?

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Do you have a layer of dirt under the sand? People do use soil/dirt for planted tanks. Needs to be capped with another non-dirt substrate. Not for me. I like to keep dirt out of my tanks. LOL.

Really cool looking little tank by the way!

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
32 C is VERY hot water. most tropical fish, including your bettas, the neons, and those rasboras, seem to prefer 27C as an upper limit, and are more comfortable at or just below 25C. you need to turn the thermostat down until the water is a lot cooler.

neither the betta nor the neons are going to complain about murky water as long as the water chemistry is OK. after all, THEY don't care if you can't see them well.

looking at the filter output and the white quartz rocks, it looks more like brown algae than dirt. however, the plants do seem to show some particulates settling from above.

the wood looks pretty fresh. some new woods have a tendency to shed the softest outermost layers when first submerged, unless there are creatures who would nibble it off first. none of the fish i see are plant nibblers, and you fortunately don't seem to have snails (which would solve this problem, but create more of their own). increased filter flow and polyester floss in the filter (changed often) should remove any super-fine particles from the water regardless of the source.

Is the pH low?

you should consider getting one or two algae-eating fish to cut down your work load in maintaining the tank

that is a very nice tank; good layout, nicely planted, and appropriately stocked. well done

Reactions: fishorama
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store