Discolouration in my goldfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Drocagen

AC Members
Dec 23, 2016
The food you have is pretty low quality. I would suggest supplementing with leafy greens and peas. Also soak the food before feeding it so that the fish is not eating from the surface. Additionally, giving the fish an orange slice for about an hour once a week can help to keep colors darker.
The skin going transparent is not natural. If you can only do water changes once a week then I suggest closer to a 75% change on the weekend. Unless your tank is huge, a water change should take maybe a half hour tops. I would strongly suggest taking the time. If you absolutely don't have it, I would suggest finding a species of fish that does not produce as much waste and thus will only need a once a week water change. Goldfish are dirty, require a lot of maintenance, get very large, and live for many, many years.
I do occasionally feed then cabbage and peas and they seem to improve for a day or two but then they worsen again. I'll take your advise on soaking the food but how should i go about it? Should i just dip it in tap water or do i use a cup to store some tank water?
I'm not sure about the orange so I might not do it. Doesnt it raise the acidity of the water?
Also no my tank is fairly small so i'll take your advise and change more.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I would just do a quality sinking pellet as your goldfish's main food.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Sinking pellets are the best option as mentioned above, but until you get some feed the flake by taking a scoop of tank water into a clean container that is only used for the fish. Take a pinch of fish food and dip that under the water before releasing it from your hands. It will soak up the water in a matter of seconds. Dump that scoop of water into the tank. The flakes will sink.

As for the orange, you'll only leave it in the water for about 20 min at the very most. It won't effect the pH that much in that amount of time and you'll want to do it on water change day anyway before you change the water.

Increasing the water changes will help more than any of these other suggestions IMO.

Reactions: Drocagen

Drocagen

AC Members
Dec 23, 2016
Sinking pellets are the best option as mentioned above, but until you get some feed the flake by taking a scoop of tank water into a clean container that is only used for the fish. Take a pinch of fish food and dip that under the water before releasing it from your hands. It will soak up the water in a matter of seconds. Dump that scoop of water into the tank. The flakes will sink.

As for the orange, you'll only leave it in the water for about 20 min at the very most. It won't effect the pH that much in that amount of time and you'll want to do it on water change day anyway before you change the water.

Increasing the water changes will help more than any of these other suggestions IMO.
Ah ok.
I'll do that and see if it improves at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store