Discus 55g

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aparker2005

AC Members
Apr 15, 2007
Arkansas
Another question guys!

I've been dreaming of having a discus tank for about as long as I can remember. I've started completely over with my new tank and probably can't do anything to get them now. Since I got my aqueon water changer, it's an absolute breeze and I stay on top of it. My water levels are right and the tank stays crystal clear.

Currently have a 55g long with the following stock :

4 juvenile angels
4 polka dot loaches
22 neon tetras
6 julii Cory cats
2 German blue rams.

I am getting my other 10 gallon set up soon.

As far as the 55 currently sits, there's no way I can add any discus is there? I can't get any other tanks other than the 10, possibly a 20. Just wanted you guys opinion!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
A 55 gal tank is quite acceptable to start with 5 or 6 discus, but NOT with ANY other fish in it.
If you really want discus, and are prepared to re-home ALL of the other fish you have, you can make it work !
Otherwise, forget about it and wait till you get another tank, preferably larger than 55 gals.
If you really want discus, set your sights on it, and do it the right way, so you don't lose them !
I'd be glad to help out in any way I can, if you're serious about succeeding with discus.

aparker2005

AC Members
Apr 15, 2007
Arkansas
So no neons, cories, or loaches with them? I could rehome the angels and rams

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul
Sorry, still not good enough.
Reasons are:
- For compatibility reasons (i.e. to avoid serious pecking order/aggression issues), the minimum number of discus recommended to be kept together is 5.
- For discus to develop in a healthy way & thrive, they need up to 10 gals per fish, so 5 fish, or 6 MAX., is the max number for a 55 gal tank.
- Therefore, no other fish can be kept in that tank or the bio-load would be excessive for all the fish to do well, regardless of the amount of filtration provided.
Understood ?
So if you wish to keep 22 Neons, 6 Cory Cats, and 4 loaches, along with 5 or 6 Discus, the minimum sized tank recommended would be around 75 gals.

The best you could do, and even this would be stretching things a touch, would be to keep 5 discus, and the 6 Cories in that 55 gal.
If you haven't already done so, may I respectfully suggest you have a read of my "Beginner's Guide to Getting Started with Discus", located here in this Angel Fish & Discus section.
If you wish to succeed with discus, do it the right way to avoid disappointment & heavy $$$ cost.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul
[h=3]Here's a little reading to help you out:[/h][h=3]D-I-S-C-U-S - 6 CARDINAL RULES FOR NEWBIES TO FOLLOW[/h]
First I'd just like to mention once again that discus are hardier than many people think, and are not difficult to keep, so long as one is prepared to accept and adhere to a few key practices that will provide the best chances of success with discus.

This listing is recorded more or less in order of importance:

1) - D - Do your homework well before delving into discus. Read and research all you can beforehand. Googling will certainly help, as well as spending a good deal of time reading the posts and threads on the simplydiscus.com forum, particularly the stickies in their 'Discus Basics'
section, which will provide you with much of the material you need to digest.

2) - I - Investigate and learn of the best sources to get your discus stock. Find those breeders &/or importers that are long time, well-experienced, responsible, reputable, and known to supply high quality, healthy, and well-shaped discus. Buy your discus from one of these sources in order to insure that you get off on the best footing possible.
This is the single, most important factor in succeeding with discus.

3) - S - Set up and plan to follow a strict regular routine of fresh water changes, tank wipe-downs and cleansing, vacuuming of wastes, and regular filter and media cleaning, changes, replacements, and maintenance. Be fully prepared for the kind of commitment it takes to produce and maintain the highest water quality and conditions that you can.

4) - C - Carefully consider the type of tank set up you start with. Make sure the tank size is ample enough to start with 5 or 6 discus. Don't be tempted to begin with a tank of less than 55 or 60 gallons, and don't try to justify going smaller by just getting 1, 2, 3, or 4 discus for cost or other reasons.
Wait till you have sufficient resources to get a proper-sized tank, and the suitable size and number of fish to insure continuing good health and harmonious discus sociability.
Do not start with small, undersized, very juvenile fish which have not yet developed a more mature immune system, are more demanding to raise properly, and much more prone to health problems and other issues. Get fish of at least 3.0" in size, preferably larger.

5) - U - Undertake to start off with a bare bottom tank, unless you're getting fully adult fish and have previous good experience with maintaining a planted tank. If you must have some decor, limit yourself to a very thin sand substrate layer, and perhaps a piece of driftwood with just a couple of small plants attached, or one or two potted plants.
Once you gain several months' of experience getting to know your discus' traits & behavior, and your discus get larger, then you may proceed to an aquascaped environment. Feed a varied diet, several times a day, and learn which foods will achieve a nutritious diet, by researching.

6) - S - Simplify. Keep things as simple as you can to start. Don't complicate your start with discus, at least at first, by placing them in a heavily planted environment, using CO2 and a strict fertilization regime. Make sure your tank is fully cycled before adding the fish, and don't be tempted to alter or change the pH of your water, or modify your water conditions and params by using chemicals of any kind. No need to use RO water or adopt any other procedures that would tend to complicate what should be a simple start to your discus launch.

Follow these 'rules', and there's little doubt you will succeed with discus !

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
good advice from discuspaul....I would add start with young adult discus or discus in the 4-5" range.. the small discus in the 2" range will require a lot of care and investment of time.

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
:popcorn: Agree w/ above. If a community tank is in your heart might I suggest increasing to 75g or ideally 90g. then you could possibly house 5 or 6 adult discus + a few other compatible species. "T"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store