Discus Alone?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

#Crabs

AC Members
Nov 4, 2019
Northern, NJ
My fish do not look like this:
Screenshot 2020-01-07 at 5.14.50 PM.png
The fish I have a very new an still juveniles. I did my research before buying all these fish. I will upgrade the tank when I see that the fish needs to be moved.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
Don’t think you’re going to listen to any of our advice. I used to be stubborn but fish are living beings and need room to swim and grow. A 38 gallon is big enough for a pair of angels but not 4 angels. Silver dollars need to be in a group of 5+ and get 6+ inches... all the fish you have will need atleast 150 gallons or a bit more. Clown loaches get huge.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Discus don't do well alone, unlike angels. Nor do they compete well with angels or any vigorous feeders especially larger 1s like clown loaches, silver dollars etc. Just because your fish are small doesn't mean they shouldn't grow to their full potential size. Even if you should score a 135g, the issues remain the same.

Reactions: #Crabs

#Crabs

AC Members
Nov 4, 2019
Northern, NJ
The one problem i have is with my mom because my mom likes to buy fish that only "look nice". I begged her not to get clown loaches and the bala shark but she got it any way. I told her i was going to get zebra loaches instead but never happened. I have to admit the SD were my fault but only because i bought them with out doing the research on how big they grow. Because it was a last minute buy before the store was closing. That was when i was a fish newbie. Like for example I once bought a columbian shark not knowing it was going to turn to brackish then saltwater. ? I originally bought the silver dollars because i remember when i was a little child growing my dad would go to the liquor store and they would have a fish tank just as you walk in. And as a little child i LOVED fish and i thought they were the coolest thing in the world. One fish I really liked in the store was these big silver fish which really looked like the ones at the liquor store only latter that night I found out it was the same fish!! Here is the video of the fish tank from the liquor store from my youtube channel (but the thing i love the most is this of a video of me taking the video when i was about 6 years old and I did not know any of those fish in the fish tank but now i know each and every fish in the tank):

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
In addition to what's already been said, and as fishorama pointed out, discus can be intimidated & stressed by Angels as well as possibly the silver dollars, and fast-moving fish like your danios and sharks - and since they are social fish and do best when in a group of 6 or more fish, a lone discus may become a very lonely camper. One needs to do a lot of research on discus
traits & behaviors before getting some.

They're not hard to keep, but you have to know what kind of attention they need, i.e.size of tank, water conditions, what types of tank-mates they can compatibly be kept with, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: dudley and #Crabs
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store