Discus are not the same after being moved

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pmwoodward

AC Members
Jan 13, 2003
MA
Visit site
Hi, I moved my 2 discus from a 29 gallong tank into a 40 gallon tank about a week ago. I used the 29 original gallons and supplemented the rest with new, conditioned water. I used the same gravel, slate and fake plants to simulate the same environment. I did change from a Penguin BioWheel 170 to Penguin BioWheel 330 however. Since that time, they stay hidden in the corners and rarely come out. They also have much less interest in feeding. One of the Discus seems more affected than the other. The new tank location is getting a bit more sunlight, but nothing major. Any thoughts on what could be wrong? Do they just need more time to adjust?

thanks, Paul

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
You may be experiencing a small cycle, resulting from the loss of the bio-filter in your old filter. I'd test the water to rule this out first.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Discus can act moody and strangely....
What is your water temp.?
Slight changes in water parameters can cause them to act that way.

a_free_bird73

AC Members
Jun 13, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
A number of reasons are possible.
The simplest is that they know they have been transfered and hence this is normal for a few days until they get used to their new environment.

As suggested before, you need to to check nitrite and ammonia. I am not sure if you did, but you should have used the old filter media in the new filter (or at least squeezed it into the new tank). unless you are using an under gravel filter, the population in the gravel will not be high enough and will take a few days to build up.

Also make sure the temp is at least 84 - 86

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store