Discus Medication

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rich Hunter

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2013
Nanaimo, BC
Real Name
as above
Morning all, I have a 115 gal planted community tank. Tank has six adult discus, two black lace angles, four clown loaches, and a dozen tetras. problem is one of my discus is loosing weight and has white poop, the fish continues to eat and is active at this time, I want to medicate the whole tank as parasites may be in the other fish. would like to lean on your experience to suggest a medication that will clear up this parasite problem and not affect the clown loaches... Thanks all Rich:confused:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
moved to discus forum....more info? pics?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I keep a couple medications on hand for my Discus and Angels. one is General Cure from API it is mostly prazi and metro and works for many internal parasites. most common ones will be handled by this.
also medicated foods ,I think angels plus carries this. if the fish is still eating the food is the best way to get the meds to the fish.
I personally don't think it's a bad idea to use prophylactic treatment of discus and angels at least in terms of parasites.
but it would help if you can include some tank parameters and maint schedule.

Ranger

AC Members
Jun 20, 2001
Everett, WA
Sound like Hexamita, a protozoan parasite that many say is always present to some degree, but needs to be continually managed with Discus. Selective bred Discuses are very susceptible to it, part of the tradeofffor generations of breeding for color and beauty.

I treat mine for it with Metronidazole. I prefer the SeaChem product about $9 US. Also use the SeaChem Focus about $7 US. Mix it per package instructions with about two cubes of blood worms and feed it to them, if they are still eating. If they have stopped eating then you can treat the water but I recommend a smaller quarantine tank so the medication goes father.

When treating the food using a little less is more effective than using a little more. Not really an over dose concern, just that the fish can taste it and so less bad flavor ends up being more that they eat. The Focusproduct is a binding agent that helps it stick to the food. Works well for other meds too.

I treat mine preventatively every month or so.

I have also heard that raising the tank temp to minimum of 95Ffor a few days is an effective treatment. I havenot tried this myself because I cannot find a tank heater that goes that high,but I trust the source and would try it if I could. Just be sure to oxygenate and be aware of otherspecies that can’t handle that temp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store