Discus tank stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nterry

AC Members
Dec 10, 2005
Hi,

I have a 75 gallon tank. Here's my stocking plan:
24 cardinal tetras
12 cories
7 discus

What think ye?

would I be able to comfortably add a few more cories or cardinals?

Nate

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
You have to be very selective on the species of corydoras, as the high temperature required by discus cannot be tolerated by most species. There are a few that will, such as Corydoras sterbai, C. leucomelas, C. gossei, C. seussi, C. adolfoi, C. duplicareus come to mind. The majority of species prefer cooler water, by which I mean mid 70's, up to say 77/78F, and will struggle with the above 80F temperatures that discus require.

Cardinal tetra will be fine with discus temps, though I would reduce this number to around 12. Corys at 12 is OK. Discus I would say 5, but if one of our members (discuspaul) says differently, I won't argue.

Byron.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Your stocking plan will likely be pushing the bio-load limit for a 75 gal, even if it's lightly planted with limited other décor.
You could reduce the number of Cardinals as Byron suggested, but a dozen would produce a relatively low bio-load, so I recommend it would be more suitable to limit the discus to 5 or 6, and the Cories (which would result in a higher load than the Cardinals), to say, 6.
I've found that many Cory species can tolerate the higher discus temps, with the exception of Pandas.
Please be sure to get your discus stock from a known, fully reliable source for supplying quality discus. If you wish, let us know where you're located, and we can offer suggestions as to good sources. And please do yourself a favor, and get discus of at least 3.5" - 4.0" or larger, if your wallet permits.
Good luck with your tank - post some pics when you get it set up & stocked.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Then your best bet is to get your discus from Central Ohio Discus (Mike Beals), who are located in Galena, Ohio, just north of Columbus. It would be approx. a 2 hour drive for you and you could personally select the discus you want. (Otherwise they can be air-shipped to you from Columbus to Cincinnati).

COD's owner Mike Beals has an excellent long-time reputation for supplying high quality discus at reasonable prices.
He's well experienced, having been in the business for many years, and has been a sponsor on simplydiscus.com for years. Look up his website on google.
All the best to you with your discus project. If I can be of any help to you at any time, don't hesitate to PM me.

P.S. Or Mike will send your selected fish by FedEx Priority Overnite.
If you order by email/phone, he will send you discus pics from which you can choose fish, and those specific fish will be sold/shipped to you.
He also guarantees live delivery.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store