DIY Aquarium lids (not light hoods)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
If I asked for DIY ideas, what made you think that I would want to buy a premade product?

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
Light diffusers don't work because they are too flimsy. If you want a nice finished look instead of an obvious diy buy an aqueon versa top. They are not expensive. If you want to cheapen the look of your tank......just trying to help

Last edited:

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Functionality plays out over cost for me. I'm on disability.

And I saw your other post. If someone asks for a DIY option, then it's likely they have a reason for doing so. Nice of you to insult me though.

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

countryboy

AC Members
Jul 20, 2012
CNY
Functionality plays out over cost for me. I'm on disability.

And I saw your other post. If someone asks for a DIY option, then it's likely they have a reason for doing so. Nice of you to insult me though.

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
A simple thank you would have been fine. Unless you have suggested materials on hand you are going to have to buy them. Might as well get something worthwhile. I'm just saying. I saw your other post and I just answered your question.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
A simple thank you would have been fine.
For which one? Calling me stupid or for disregarding that I specified DIY? Either way, I think the conversation regarding what was said between you and me needs to end here and now.

Here is an example of what dbosman is talking about regarding using the channel for Sliding lids and instructions for determining the size of the glass panels.
Thanks! I didn't realize he meant those channels. I thought he meant something else. That would be great for my hermit crab's new set up too. That's a freaking awesome idea!
I have made several sliding glass tops and believe me there are folks that can cut glass and folks that cannot.
Lol. I believe him. I'm in the latter group.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
Lol. I believe him. I'm in the latter group.
that's unfortunate, cause that's where you can really cash in deal wise for what you're looking for. maybe there's a glass shop or hardware store that can make the cuts for you. then you can knurl the edges with a rasp so they're not sharp.

EDIT: but if you do, please do be careful.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
if you cut your own glass you should use emery cloth to dulll the edges of the glass. if you get them cut at a glass shop they usually do that for you no charge(they use an upright belt sander) but I found glass shops around here charge as much as just buying a replacement top..that comes complete with hinges and handles ;)
for me I've tried acrylic plates cut to size..they will need a frame to keep them stiff or they just slowly bend.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store