DIY CO2 basics (and some not-so-basics)-discussion thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Opicana

AC Members
May 13, 2006
Toledo, Ohio
I am planning on making a DIY CO2 very soon for my new planted...I've researched it quite a bit, and I'm confident in how to make the mixture, the 2L bottle, etc...

What I am confused about is the part that is always mentioned in instructions but never explained....people always throw out terms like "bubble counter", "check valve" and "gas separator"....What is it that I need? And where do I find it? I know its supposed to go between the 2L and the intake (I'm going to use the intake on my canister to diffuse)....but that's all I got.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
A gas separator is just an empty bottle that will catch any foam that accidentally gets into the CO2 line. You can use a smaller bottle, like a 20oz soda bottle. You'll need two holes in the cap. The line from the CO2 mix comes ffrom the 2L bottle and into the 20ox bottle, about halfway down. You put another line into the top of the 20oz bottle, only into the bottle about 1" or so, which goes to the tank. Sometimes ferments get a little overactive, if its warmer than usual or if there are lots of solids in the solution or too much yeast. If it foams up far enough to get pushed into the tube, it spills over into the gas separator instead of getting pushed into the tank.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
If the whole setup is below your tank, then it would still be possible for the tank to back-siphon into the bottle.

jon jon

Registered Member
Apr 29, 2009
Caracas, Venezuela
Hi, congratulations and thanks for the article, one of the best, clear and accurate I’ve read on the web, this even have references, something you not see on a regular basic in most articles out there.
Keep the good work
Greetings
Jonathan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store