Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

DIY Co2

Discussion in 'Freshwater Equipment, Products, & DIY' started by Kengel, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Kengel

Kengel AC Members

Sep 5, 2010
    Could it be as simple as mixing ingredients in a 2 liter bottle and running tubing into the tank? I don't know much about this so this so it may seem like a dumb question =/.

2. RodInCALIFORNIA

RodInCALIFORNIA EBAY ADDICT !

ROD
    Nov 20, 2015
    ROD
    might have better luck with this question in the "planted" section.

3. Jspigs

Jspigs There is always more to learn

Jacob
    Aug 25, 2011
    Jacob
    You need something to diffuse the co2. The pointy end of a chopstick shoved into the tube with a little of the chopstick sticking out of the tube works well.

4. J double R

J double R The Devil

Jonathan
    Apr 14, 2011
    Jonathan
    This is a pretty basic diagram of a DIY CO2 setup. You can choose to have 1 bottle, or two. The smaller bottle is a "bubble counter" or "separator", that you fill with water above the input line, and out the line to the tank, which stays above the water line. This allows you to monitor true flow outside the tank, and if any yeast mixture leaks through the tubing, it is deposited here, instead of in your tank. In the tank, you can use your choice of diffuser, whether it is a chopstick as mentioned above, a limewood airstone, or a reactor setup. the little nubby part (labeled "3") is a backflow preventer, or checkvalve, which prevents your tank water from siphoning back into the bottle. that is a must.
    generatorcopycs5.jpg

generatorcopycs5.jpg

5. Kengel

Kengel AC Members

Sep 5, 2010
    That diagram helps a ton, I think I'll do it this week. Could anybody describe what goes into a yeast mixture?

Thanks for all the replies! :D.

6. lethalcustoms00

lethalcustoms00 gearhead extrordinare

Nov 27, 2016
    i use regular activated yeast in mine. but i also use jello instead of just sugar too.

7. Jspigs

Jspigs There is always more to learn

Jacob
    Aug 25, 2011
    Jacob
    Here is a good walkthrough (not mine): http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...cts/14453-diy-co2-guide-pictures-recipes.html

Instead of the juice container mentioned in the link I used a two liter bottle and it works great with my chopstick diffuser.

Also I did not make the bubble counter mentioned in the link, I just skipped that part.

8. dholowiski

dholowiski AC Members

Apr 3, 2010
    These type of setups scare the heck out of me. No matter how much planning you do, there is always the possibility of the bottle getting plugged and exploding (yuck), having all of the water siphon out of your fish tank (squish) or having the high alcohol mixture from the bottle empty into your tank.
    It may cost way more, but I got a pressurized CO2 system that runs off of a paintball tank, and I can finally sleep at nights.

9. J double R

J double R The Devil

Jonathan
    Apr 14, 2011
    Jonathan
    With proper safety interlocks, you won't have any higher risk of water siphoning out of your tank as any other time you're using airline in the tank, nor will you have to worry about the mixture getting in the tank, if you build a proper gas separator.

I'm all about pressurized CO2, but I find DIY CO2 to be fun and somewhat fulfilling.

10. PAL

PAL AC Members

May 23, 2014
    I have to disagree, I believe that pressurized pros beat the diy pros. We can discuss these if you would like