DIY Fish Shipping Container-A Photo Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
After my recent first attempt at shipping and doing alot of reading and questioning, I thought I'd post a short description and photo journal of a DIY shipping box. There are alot of written threads, but few pics. It's not alot of pictures, but you can get the idea, and it helps to actually see what's being described.

First, determine how large of a box you will need. This will be determined by the type and quantity of fish you will be sending, and hence the size and quantity of the bags you will be using. Consider that when you line the box with 1" foam insulation, you will lose 2" from each dimension(LxWxH).

First, cut the pieces of foam for the bottom and top which will be the full inside dimensions of the box. Then you will cut the sides. I like to cut the long sides first if your box is not square. They will be the full length of the box, but for the height you need to subtract the thickness of the bottom and top pieces. Then last you can cut the short sides. These will be the same height as the other sides, but length wise, you need to now subtract the thickness of your other two sides. Now you have the foam liner built.
IMG_2009.JPG
I then put a piece of soft foam packing material in the bottom(gray in the picture), and then some newspaper(not shown) on top of that. This helps to cushion a little more and the newspaper also will absorb and drips if there is a tiny leak. Some also line the box with plastic but I didn't.
IMG_2010.JPG
Now you can bag your fish and lay them in the box. For this, I just used bags of water for demonstration purposes. I then covered them with some bubble wrap and newspaper again. Depending on the time of the year, you can attach cool or heat packs to the inside of the lid. For the cool pack, I used a ziplock bag taped to the lid with the pack inside. The bubble wrap and newspaper will also serve as an insulator to keep the pack from coming in direct contact with the bags.
IMG_2011.JPG
IMG_2012.JPG
IMG_2013.JPG
Now you can seal up the box and send. To speed the process, I like to have the box addressed prior to packaging. FWIW, I did not label the box "live fish" but just had fragile all over it. Alot depends on the carrier and the clerk.
IMG_2014.JPG
And that's it! Being able to ship opens alot of doors if you are interested in raising and selling fish.

IMG_2009.JPG IMG_2010.JPG IMG_2011.JPG IMG_2012.JPG IMG_2013.JPG IMG_2014.JPG

patrick.paul

Geek Inside
Jul 13, 2010
NorCal/Bay Area
Real Name
Patrick..
Great article! I might need to get into shipping soon and this will be very helpful. Thanks!

Best Regards,
Patrick

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
This should be made a sticky in the classifieds. It's the only responsible way to ship fish or shrimp... besides non-diy enclosures that are pricey. I either make one of these, or recycle the foam from a previous delivery, every time I ship fish or shrimp. It's nice to use standard size USPS priority mail boxes, since they are readily available. The foam never needs to go to waste.

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
Thank you both for the kudos!

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
I've never been brave enough to sell fish and ship them. Maybe one day - and this is definitely good info. :)
I was worried myself, but now that I've done it a couple of time, I've gained some confidence in doing it.

Thats the way!

so what kind of foam do you use? more so, where did you get it?
Thank you Cali. It's 1" thick foam board insulation, any home improvement store should have it. Usually in 2x4 or 4x8 sheets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store