DIY LED aquarium light

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

traelman

AC Members
Jun 11, 2008
From what I've been reading, it doesnt sound like a good idea to mount those to a wood strip. The high output leds (Lumileds, Cree and others) create a lot of heat. You have to use a heat sink of some type.....

I am planning to do something for a 30 Hex that i have.

Last edited:

1oooop

int x; if {x>1} {std::cout
Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
From what I've been reading, it doesnt sound like a good idea to mount those to a wood strip. The high output leds (Lumileds, Cree and others) create a lot of heat. You have to use a heat sink of some type.....

I am planning to do something for a 30 Hex that i have.
You don't have to use a heat sink, unless if you plan to do a project with those expensive 1 watt leds, then I adveis you to ues a heat sink and a fan, or if you want, you can use them to heat your tank, with an idea someone came up with. here's a diagram, it shouldn't be too bad, you can put a regular cooler if you want

Attachments

Clarice

Exotic Pets and Animals
Mar 26, 2008
animal-world.com
I really appreciate what you've put together for us here. This is a cool thread. I'm just not sure about trying to build one myself, but the high expense of commercial units is still making them prohibitive. So I have a couple of questions that maybe you can help with...
Our metal halide (of about 10 years!) finally bit the big one... that means it died. So I was looking into LED lighting for our reef. Our tank is 5' long and as we have some VHO flourescents on one side. I thought I could try an LED system on the other side rather than replace with another metal halide. I saw the Solaris system, and yes it is still $2800 for the 48" system.

1. I am wondering how they get the different colors/intensities in these commercial systems? You mentioned LED's only have one intensity...? (Maybe they are just using colored lenses?)
2. As I'm not thinking for lighing on a plant tank or freshwater tank... Can I build a system that is going to work with a reef?
3. What do I need to know? (Now that's a 'black & white' question in a field of 'gray'!...LOL)

Not being too electronics saavy, if your post wasn't darn so friendly, and fun... I would feel really unsure about asking for my particular stuff. But you are really a fun read (even if I don't always understand all the stuff you are talking about) and I want to learn more.

mattmartindrift

AC Members
May 16, 2008
1. I am wondering how they get the different colors/intensities in these commercial systems? You mentioned LED's only have one intensity...? (Maybe they are just using colored lenses?)
2. As I'm not thinking for lighing on a plant tank or freshwater tank... Can I build a system that is going to work with a reef?
3. What do I need to know? (Now that's a 'black & white' question in a field of 'gray'!...LOL)

Not being too electronics saavy, if your post wasn't darn so friendly, and fun... I would feel really unsure about asking for my particular stuff. But you are really a fun read (even if I don't always understand all the stuff you are talking about) and I want to learn more.

Depending on the size of your MH, you might save in the long run on energy costs, you won't have to run a chiller (if you do), nor will fans, if any, need to be run. Not to mention LEDs are extremely efficient at turning electrical energy into light. MH creates a massive amount of heat as well, with heat being energy, you can see what is basically wasted energy.

What you'll need to know for LEDs, basic electrical knowledge what voltage, current, and resistance is. It's a good idea to know Ohm's Law, Kirchoffs Junction and Loop Laws, etc. etc.

You'll always want to 100% understand the equipment with which your working, this is extremely important with electrical work as you have the ability to start a fire.

However, with LEDs, it's usually unlikely because the extremely small (compared to other lighting options) voltage and current draw from LEDs, it's hard to actually start a fire if everything is wired correctly with built-in safeties -- fuses, breakers, and/or thermal protection.

LEDs are engineered to output light in a certain spectrum, so yes, you can match the wavelengths of the bulbs to the needs of your livestock. So you can alternate color temps/wavelengths 420nm, 465nm, 6500K, 10000K, and 14000K (i've seen ads, but never proof of LED in this spectrum).

You can get LEDs in many different specificaitions, from fractions of a watt, up through 10 watts per piece.

The real specs. that matter in lighting are the penetration ability into water, lumens (or flux).

there are a ton of electronics hobbiest forums and magazines out there. It's invaluable to know how all of this stuff works, I garauntee it will save you money time and headache in all aspects of life.

traelman

AC Members
Jun 11, 2008
As I stated earlier, I am planning build my own LED tank light. My hopes are that it will be both cost effective and beneficial to my fishies and plants.

I know there are a lot of things to consider; lumens, watts, appearance, gallons, wavelength, thermal control........blah, blah, blah.

I guess it all comes down to what you want to do for your own situation. In doing my research I have seen HO LED's grow both Coral and FW plants. Yes, these are DIY projects, but from what I've seen from the peeps here, DIY is really cool. I am planning a project and will start a link for it soon. I hope I can be as detailed as possible with both my build and the results.

:headbang2::headbang2::headbang2:

Wish Me Luck

Last edited:

mattmartindrift

AC Members
May 16, 2008
basically, spend the money on the good LEDs, then match them to the manufacturers' requirements for power and you'll have a great starting point, just mount them to look pretty and be done.

1oooop

Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
I completely agree with my friend up there ^

regular LEDs are designed to look cool and maybe but a few people's eyes out, not support plant growth and fishies

if you really want plant growth and fishies with a cheap price read this, you can put a plant light there where the florescent light is, all you need is a broken CFL with the wattage of the tube I do have it on another thread

anyway, I prefer only using them as moon lights, very dim. but I guess they're okay to plant growth EH, no adverse effects in 1oooop land

1oooop

Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
well, seems I've been owned by t man, LEDs do support plant growth and fishies, GOOD JOB T MAN

1oooop

Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store