DIY Sand waterfall project

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Leanne Olsen

AC Members
Jul 22, 2017
Cheyenne, Wyoming USA
Camera Used
Nikon 14x Wide Optical Zoom ED VR
Just my attempt at a sand waterfall. Making it work is not a problem; my problem was deciding what I want to subject my future water babies to! I do not like using paint and cement so I decided on a simple model. The plan is to make it look like a Temple, and all I am using is Styrofoam, hot glue (I do not get along with Silicone!...Hate the stuff , LOL!)...and smashed up slate stone, and of course the fittings that go inside the waterfall....and sand! I will be more specific as I proceed! Have just started this project and since another member expressed interest in seeing some pictures, I will post a few here, but please bear with me as I have just started. Basically I have formed the Temple in Styrofoam and am covering it with pieces of slate. I bought some at a Pet Store and have smashed it up "a little bit"! In the spots/holes that don't get covered with the slate stones I intend to put a blob of glue and pour onto that crushed slate stone. When the Temple is covered I will cut out the backing and place the fittings inside and then, goodness gracious me! I guess I will need the silicone to fasten the Temple to the back of my tank. I already have a like 3D backing made (I have more plans for that also, before I fill the tank; 50 gallons. It will be housing a pair of Pearl Gourami, 7 Diamond Tetra, 11 Emperor Tetra and 4 Panda Cory Cats. Substrate; Carib Sea Tahitian Moonlight, black gravel. Anyway, here are a couple of pictures to start with.

DSCN2876 (2).JPG

DSCN2877 (2).JPG

DSCN2878.JPG

DSCN2879 (2).JPG

DSCN2880 (2).JPG

DSCN2881 (2).JPG

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
From what I understand the hardest part of making this work is getting the catch basin and top of the waterfall lined up so they form a working return loop. I would suggest testing your design before you finish decorating it. Will be easier to make adjustments now than after you have it all covered up.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
This sounds like it's all going to be awesome! I love the background effect you're going for. I vote for more panda corys though, at least 6 total. Especially because you have plenty of extra bioload room (it's a 50g) and the corys are the least likely to have a problem with the pair of pearls once they start breeding.

Reactions: Leanne Olsen

Leanne Olsen

AC Members
Jul 22, 2017
Cheyenne, Wyoming USA
Camera Used
From what I understand the hardest part of making this work is getting the catch basin and top of the waterfall lined up so they form a working return loop. I would suggest testing your design before you finish decorating it. Will be easier to make adjustments now than after you have it all covered up.
Yes, I'll be testing it for sure ;) Thank you :) Actually I regretted putting the large stones on the Temple so I removed them today, and intend to put small ones on instead.

Leanne Olsen

AC Members
Jul 22, 2017
Cheyenne, Wyoming USA
Camera Used
Yes, I'll be testing it for sure ;) Thank you :) Actually I regretted putting the large stones on the Temple so I removed them today, and intend to put small ones on instead.
Project not going anywhere I'm sorry to say. Have been battling with fish illnesses and personal loss. Will leave it for now,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store