Do clown loaches have teeth?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DodgeIntrepidV6

AC Members
Oct 26, 2002
New Haven, CT
www.cardomain.com
I can't see in their mouth at all, but when they eat wafers or tablets or sometimes appear to eat the cave they make loud clicking noises like my pacus did. Is this teeth or just a strong mouth?

Darkangel

AC Members
Nov 16, 2002
Oshawa, ON, Canada
The clicking sound you hear may not be related to the mouth at all. Most if not all fishes of the genus botia are able to make a clicking noise. They often do it when interacting with other fish. This may be the sound you are hearing. As far as teeth I believe all botia have Pharyngeal teeth only. These are teeth located in the throat of the fish. Mostly used for grinding.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Clown loaches very definitely have teeth - and rather bucked ones at that. That is part of what makes then such good snail eaters, they bite in with their teeth and pull the snails out of their shells.

wetmanNY

AC Members
Wow! you really have to love somebody to want to get that close!

Is that groove below the eye where the movable spine lies?

Are those bumps taste buds, or part of the lateral line system?

Who knew about the smallest chin barbels? My eyesight is failing fast...

Those photos are ready for the cover of Natural History. Amazing!

Thanks for the link!

SusanA

AC Members
Dec 13, 2002
San Francisco Bay area
Visit site
After the thread on Loaches On Line I got curious and did some research.

Darkangel is right. Clown loaches - indeed all loaches - have pharyngeal teeth. That is, they have bony plates in their throat to help them grind their food up.

They pull or suck snails out of their snails with their pointy little snouts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store