Do I have the proper setup?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

skip_16157

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Beaver Falls, PA
yahoo.com
I have a 55 long tank that is been running for 5 weeks. My LFS told me that I had everthing I needed to have a saltwater tank.I converted my freshwater into this saltwater.

I have a Whisper power filter I belive a #5 and I'm not using the carbon in the filters, UGF with 4 lift tubes, 1 power head to move the water length wise across the tank, 3 1/2 crushed coral that is 3 different types, 2 20,000k coralife bulbs and a couple pounds of live rock. I took the carbon out of the filters becaues I have been adding Vitamin C, trace minerals and garlic. The LFS told me to take the carbon out as it wouldn't deplete my added chemicals. I've done 2 water changes and still my nitrites and nitrates are always high? Ammonia and PH are 0 and 8.1. I have a Yellow tang, domino damsel, percula clown, 2 turbo snails and about 10 hermit crabs.

Do I need more equipment or a different type of filter? If I add more Live Rock will this solve my Nitrate and Nitrite problem?

My fish seem to be doing well? All help is much appreciated!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
At 5 weeks, your tank is still cycling. The bacteria population isn't established in relation to the amount of waste being produced. It takes a while, and if your live rock wasn't cured, it's contributing to the problem.

Start doing small water changes, about every other day about 5-10 gallons. Keep doing this until nitrites are at zero, then do water changes to reduce nitrates.

Adding more live rock will help only if it is completely cured--otherwise, you'll be adding more wastes in addition to the additional bacteria. Once your tank is stable, adding more live rock would help. I would hold off until the nitrites have zeroed out.

You are going to want to watch that tang closely. They are very sensitive to poor water quality.

Make sure you only add the nutrients as needed--neither Vitamin C or garlic are required. Garlic can be used regularly to promote health--I would keep feeding it--but the vitamin C seems silly. Improving their diet by feeding nori and seaweed would be better.

skip_16157

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Beaver Falls, PA
yahoo.com
Nitrites are 10 and trates are 120. I've had my trates at 160 before and did a partial to bring them down to about 30. That was 3 days ago. I bought curedrock from LFS and it didn't smell.

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yikes! Definitely do some water hanges. Look into getting some macro algaes--the tang will probably eat them, but you need something to pull some of those nitrites and nitrates out. Target values for Nitrates should be under 20. Your tank is clearly still cycling--water changes will help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store