Do oscars have mood swings?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zekni

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Las Vegas, NV
Visit site
For about 6 months now, I've had an Oscar, now about 9", a male convict 6", a 5" angel, a 3" blood parrot and two common plecos 10" and 3" in a 125gallon tank. It's totally bare of substrate or decorations save for a driftwood log the blood parrot generally resides in as they've been waiting for me to set up the 225gal.
I never wanted the angel; my parent's tank broke, and he's been living with me on the promise they're going to one day buy a new tank and come get him. I thought he was a gonner from the begining, but somehow he managed to become inseperable from the convict, who's always guarded their half of the tank (log seems to be the dividing marker) from the oscar, who up until now, has never been aggressive toward anything that couldn't fit in his mouth.
I'm not even entirely sure what happened, but I came home from work today and the heater on the convict/angel side is shattered, the angel is beat to pieces and swimming upside-down, and the convict is wedged in the log with the blood parrot. I never would have suspected Happy, the oscar if I wasn't watching him chase the convict back into the log every time the little parrot's constant temper tantrums drive him out. Happy still doesn't seem to have any issues with the blood parrot, as that ugly little thing gets bumped out by the convict and Happy ignores it.
The angel is now in my 5.5gallon with salt and melafix, still upside-down but swimming. The heater pieces are all out of the tank, and the convict is still trying to evict the parrot from the log.
The 225gallong isn't setup yet, my 55gallon is brackish, and the 5.5gallon is inhabited by very bitesize kilifish (I didn't think an upside down angel posed any threat at this point.) and I don't know what else to do at the moment other than ask for suggestions.
I've never had an oscar before, but I've had Happy since he was an inch long and he's always been one easy going oscar. Everything I've read about oscars seem to indicate they're generally easy-going as long as tankmates aren't bite-size. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I suddenly be worried about the little yellow troll of a blood parrot of mine being the next victim? The plecos don't appear to have suffered any attention yet either.

Comments/suggestions/advise would be greatly appreciated.

rus

self proclaimed proclaimer
Jan 6, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.cichlidsickness.com
the only thing i suggest is to add more tank decor maybe that will mix thing up enough to settle the O down until the big tank is ready. it sounds like he may feel a little crowded(tankmates wise).
Oh and Welcome to Aquaria Central. There are lots of knowledgeable people here to help. Hope you enjoy your stay.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store