Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Do you really need a carbon cartridge in your filter?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Equipment, Products, & DIY' started by zmazza, Feb 22, 2006.

1. zmazza

zmazza nano r33f 4 u

Jan 7, 2011
    Do you really need a carbon cartridge? Shouldn't the bacteria in the tank take care of that problem? Shouldn't you just need mechanical and bio media?

2. stevieg

stevieg AC Members

Feb 27, 2006
    Carbon cartridges only last for a short time removing organics and some metals. However carbon is a good substrate for your biological filter which is the real workhorse of the filtration system. Understanding how filtration works and how to maintain a healthy biological filter is key to success with fish keeping. Learn how to do this and you will be rewarded 100x. Good luck and best wishes.

Stevvieg

3. StreetCypher

StreetCypher AC Members

Sep 22, 2008
    AFAIK, once the carbon has expired, after a while it will start to leach toxins back into the water. ANd i remember reading somewhere that carbon dust interferes in fishes respiration or something.

4. UncaBret

UncaBret Yummmm!

Mar 9, 2017
    I don't use it, but keep one on hand in case I need it to remove meds or something.

5. nursie

nursie AC Members

michelle
    Jul 20, 2012
    michelle
    Don't use it. Don't need it. If I had meds to remove I might. There are much better filtration media out there to use to colonize bateria than carbon.

6. gagaliya

gagaliya GNOME POWER!

Mar 9, 2017
    so are you guys saying it's better to replace the carbon filter bag within aquaclear filters with another bio stone bag? so instead of:

mechanical (sponge) ->chemical (carbon) -> biological (bio stone)

in aquaclear 3 stage, it's better (or rather equally good) to have:

mechanical (sponge) ->biological (bio stone) -> biological (bio stone)

?

7. mainer

mainer AC Members

Jan 2, 2007
    im also wondering about this as i have a whisper 10 on my tank right now with a bio bag thats been in there for a month. Im thinking i should just get rid of the carbon inside the bag. I already stuck some extra foam in behind the bag to help with bacteria after i partially lost my bio filter last weekend. Plus i have a new aqua clear 30 on the way and i need to know how to transition to the bigger better filter??

8. zave2340

zave2340 WWW - Wondrful Water World

Jul 2, 2007
    i have ALWAYS used a little carbon in my fitlers. It is not made for bactiera growth as some have siad. it is almost like doing a chemical teatment on your water.

I do have a aquaclear filter on my 10 gallon goldfish tank. I run two sponges and 1 section of filter floss. I find it works GREAt, i change the filter floss once a week since the stuff is so cheap. and the sponges get a good bactiera culture going.

In my 30 gallon community tank i have a Hydro Bravo filter running. The hydor filters have a small basket on the front of them for whatever media you want to place in there as a extra bonus to what is already in the filter. Once a week i replace the carbon that i ahve put in there, it is so easy to take in and out and to change. It is great. I ahve always used carbon in my fitler and from what i see, it does not hurt.

I know some people say that activated carbon will leech stuff BACK into your tank, BUT, this would not happen over a long pieord of time. If you left your carbon back in for a month or more. I change mine after a week. AND becuase my filter is nicely designed, i can take it out easy if i need to add meds.

Anyway, those are my two cents. :coffee2:

9. zave2340

zave2340 WWW - Wondrful Water World

Jul 2, 2007

Run the new filter on the tank at the same time as the old filter, this will help establiah a bactiera culture in the new filter.

10. YuccaPatrol

YuccaPatrol Over-filtered

Feb 3, 2007
    I have mine set up this way:

Mechanical sponge > thin layer of Fine filter floss (more mechanical) >biomax stones and additional Seachem Matrix biological media