Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Do you turn off the filter during a water change

Discussion in 'Freshwater Equipment, Products, & DIY' started by lovemybarbs, Jan 27, 2007.

?

Do you turn off your filter during water changes?

1. Yes--I turn it off

50 vote(s)
    48.5%
  2. No--I leave it on

53 vote(s)
    51.5%
  1. lovemybarbs

lovemybarbs AC Members

Sep 10, 2013
    My filter has been making a strange noise for hours after I plug it back in during water changes. If the intake tube is below the surface of the water, I think it is safe to leave it on, but I haven't tried it yet. I plan to today.

Mine is a HOB and I rinse the filter cartridges every time I change the water.

What do you do????

2. daayda3

daayda3 AC Members

Mar 30, 2017
    yes because my tube is so short... it wouldnt work after i do a WC

3. liv2padl

liv2padl cichlidophile

Jun 1, 2007
    as long as the water is still flowing, i'd leave the filter running. if the water level is going to go down below the intake tube, then definitely turn it off .. you don't want to run a 'dry' filter.

making noise after you plug it back in could be many things. what kind of filter is it? is it running/pumping water but just noisy?

4. lovemybarbs

lovemybarbs AC Members

Sep 10, 2013
    I have a Emperor 400. I took it apart twice and the water is still flowing. I can't figure it out. It goes away after a few hours. Sometimes to get it to go away, I fire it back up a couple of times. The intake tube is about 6.5 inches long on a 55 gallon long.

5. BioFilter

BioFilter Deep Sea Viper Fish

Feb 7, 2007
    My water changes always go below the intake tubes, so I shut them down.

6. terrypowerz

terrypowerz AC Members

Jan 28, 2008
    If it is a growling noise from the impeller, it is most likely air bubbles....

I have heard that myself...
    Usually if you unplug and plug the power back in a couple of times it will force the trapped air out more quickly.

7. 5xevy

5xevy Member #62,749

Jan 30, 2010
    I have to shut mine down or air starts shooting through my aquarium. In another tank, the pump would be running without water so that needs to be shut down as well.

8. H3D

H3D Philosopher

Sep 19, 2013
    I turn it off during every water change and clean the media.

9. Ghostshrimp55

Ghostshrimp55 AC Members

Nov 20, 2009
    I leave it on as long the intake is below the water level. I have an eheim and the intake is a little under a foot and a half away from the top of the tank. Only during HUGE water changes would I have to turn it off. As long as it can run wet, why not leave it on? It can help remove some of the debris kicked into the water column during a water change.

10. lovemybarbs

lovemybarbs AC Members

Sep 10, 2013
    I wonder what will happen when I take the cartridges out when it is running. :huh: