Do your fish have personalities??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Finzzup

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
NW Iowa
Visit site
Years ago, I had an Oscar all alone in a 25G tank -- I got him as a tiny baby with two others (who didn't make it) and he grew pretty big! When I got married, he was transferred into a 55G tank, but pretty much stayed alone because everything I tried to put in there with him, he killed it.

Anyway -- when I would come home from work, I usually would feed him and spend about an hour near the tank watching the news and just doing stuff. One day, I didn't feed him. About 1/2 hour later, I noticed he was 'digging' into the gravel and raising a ruckus -- and then he started banging the thermometer in the tank!

From then on, if I didn't feed him right on schedule, he would start up these antics again. Nobody believed he was actually looking for food, but it had to have been!

Now, my Betta sits in his jar about 18 inches from me and next to my computer monitor and seems to spend all his time swimming as soon as I get to work. He is also looking for his food!

I have people in and out of my office all day long and he never reacts to any of them except for one person -- when this man comes in, my Betta acts as if there is another male Betta next to him -- gills flare out and he goes into "attack" mode!

It's so much fun having fish (the few that I have had) and I honestly think some of them have definite personalities!

val

Oct 18, 2002
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Absolutely, fish have personalities.

If you'd like to read a great book about fish and their personalities, go on-line to find a used copy of an out-of-print book called Confessions of a Fish Doctor by Scott Brodie. Awesome book.

Val

FishmasteR2002

Pescatore Napoletano
Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
I have 6 black skirt tetras and I call them the mafia because they look like they are wearing black suits and they always stay together. I also have a blue crayfish that doesn't come out from under his rock unless the light is off. There are little things I notice about my fish that give them personality.

Nippy

Sweetie's keeper
May 26, 2002
Fairbanks, Alaska
My Midas cichlid gets po'd if he doesn't get to go to bed on time. Whenever we stay up late and use the computer(next to his tank), he starts banging on the heaters, telling us to go to bed so he can too!
I have an oscar that used to put himself to bed and a Jaguar who spies on you, among many many others. :)

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
my lima shovelnose actually seems to come to the end of the tank to see me alot of times. he pretty much knows the routine when i go down to feed and check on him, and he will swim to the end of the tank i pass by because he knows i will look at him.

i have seen others fishes like oscars that seemed very smart also, most of mine are sort of unremarkable at best tho.

Zim

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
Southeast Texas
www.drunkduck.com
Ive got a few tanks. I don't see much of a personality in any of the fish, frogs, or snails except from my kenyi cichlids. I swear they seem to be smarter than the others.

They are very territorial and chase away anything that gets near their 'home'. Ive never seen them bite one another. I have seen them nudge each other when they get too close. They do, however, bite the tails off of the rosy reds I throw in the tank.. (food for the senegalus bichir).

The kenyi cichlids rub up against the objects of the tank. The dart up against the rocks and scrape it with their side in one quick motion. I dont know if they are trying to leave their scent to make sure everyone knows its their homes or what. They do this daily.

If I hold up my keychain shaped like a fish, they will stare at it for several minutes, not moving.

The Kenyis seem to act a bit more on thought than any other fish I own. They dont just swim around and chase each other aimlessly like those annoying danios.

SteveInEssex

AC Members
Nov 23, 2002
England
I honestly believe I have the smartest fish!!!! He is a Florida Gar about 8-9 inches in length. I have only had him for 4 weeks. I never name fish, but.....he deserved a name after showing how interactive he is. HENRY, lol. He spends 99% of his time on the surface and as soon as I enter the room will follow me up and down the length of the tank. Then if i put my hand in the water he will let me stroke him. He will chase my finger around the tank(never biting though, thankfully as he has little razor sharp teeth.) and is happier at feeding time if I feed him by hand. Loves playing with the hose when I do my water changes and when i vacuum the sand. He clearly knows the difference between my girlfriend and I, as he ignores her completley, even though she does feed him too. I have started to notice that he reacts to sound. We did a test and he will move to the end of the tank i am at when I talk, but not to my girlfriends when she talks. Maybe its just that my voice, being deeper and stronger creates more vibrations in the water for him to pick up on, but still it is impressive to watch.

christopher1260

Expert Novice
Nov 2, 2002
Athens, OH
community.webshots.com
my texas cichlid has more personality than any of my other fish. like most texas, he digs a lot. he gets very mad when i rearrange the tank, though. he will not come out for a whole day when i rearrange things, then he reclaims the little rock cave that i have for him and digs the bottom out of it. he will also follow my finger around the tank and watch everyone who comes into my room.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store