Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone make a powerhead that DOES NOT blow bubbles?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Equipment, Products, & DIY' started by MikefromNH, Jan 25, 2005.

1. MikefromNH

MikefromNH AC Members

Oct 1, 2006
    I have an AC 301 and an AC 50 (new 401) and both impellers cavitate:mad:. The 50, which I'm currently using, is the worst of the two, blowing poofs of bubbles every 15 seconds or so. It is totally submerged and nowhere near any source of bubbles. It doesn't really make the tank look bad but I feel, due to the cavitation, it's pulling dissolved oxygen out of the water and sending it to the surface as large bubbles. My fish seem fine but I still don't like the idea. I have $70 invested in these pieces of junk!:mad2

Does anyone have any recommendations on non-cavitating powerheads? I'm using it for circulation and looking for around 250 gph flow rate. I also have a quick filter on there for a little extra water polishing.

BTW, I tried both units without the quick filter with the same results. I also tried adjusting the flow rates to no avail.

2. QCppg

QCppg Carp for brains!

Mar 27, 2005
    I have that same powerhead, and an old version of the 801 (I think it is anyways, it looks identical). Neither cavitates in FW or SW in my experiance.

3. blitzen25bm

blitzen25bm AC Members

Dec 31, 2006
    supposedly not the best powerhead but my rio dosent blow any bubbles

4. RTR

RTR AC Members

Oct 17, 2006
    I've never had any AC powerheads cavitate either, unless I restrict the intake. Are you?

5. MikefromNH

MikefromNH AC Members

Oct 1, 2006
    At first I thought it was the restriction caused by the quick filter causing the cavitation. After removing it there was no difference. Running it with the flow lever at max actually makes it worse! To me, that dosen't make sense. I don't think this is an isolated problem either.

This is from the FAQ on the Hagen website.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I'm only using the powerhead for circulation I never put the airline on there to begin with. I figured if it's submerged what would it matter if there was a knotted airline on there. Maybe that's the problem though I can't see how it could be. Also, I removed the impellers and looked for any imperfections on the blades. There were a few tiny casting flaws that I cleaned up with an exacto knife but the problem is still there.

6. QCppg

QCppg Carp for brains!

Mar 27, 2005
    Because of the way an impellar works it is doubtful that you are getting cavitation unless you have an ENORMOUS quantity of dissolved gas. Cavitation takes place in the low pressure zone behind a propellar blade at high RPMs. An impellar flings water rather than pushing it, and few household AC motors turn faster than 3,600 RPM, which is normally too slow for cavitation.

7. daveedka

daveedka Purple is the color of Royalty

Apr 11, 2011
    I have never seen these bubbles with my penguin powerheads, but recently I bought a smaller aquarium systems powerhead, and do get occasional bubbles. I attributed it solely to pearling from the plants, but your post makes me curious. Either way with the plants, my tanks usually looks like a glass of soda so the bubbles aren't a big deal for me. You might try penguin, but I imagine the source of the bubbles will be the same for any powerhead, and therefore you won't see a difference.
    dave

8. pl*co

pl*co Feeds low on the food chain

Aug 27, 2007
    My Penguin 1140 (300 GPH) Power Head does not blow bubbles unless I adjust the airline to do so. Otherwise, it creates a nice current in the tank. It's pretty quiet too.

Would you like to have it? No charge. I never use it because my tanks aren't large enough for that much power. I bought it back when I was a newbie and didn't know any better. :( I recently tried it out (just to see) in a 30 gallon that I recently acquired and it knocked over a fully grown Convict when it swam too close. :p Would you believe I actually bought it for a 10 gallon originally? :laugh:

#8 pl*co, Jan 30, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  9. MikefromNH

MikefromNH AC Members

Oct 1, 2006
    Thanks, I may take you up on your offer. First, I'm going to contact Hagen to see what they say. Like a moron, I threw away the receipt from petsmart so I cant return it ($50 in the store!:mad: ). Hopefully Hagen will warranty/replace it or something. Does your Penguin accept any sort of quick filter?

10. pl*co

pl*co Feeds low on the food chain

Aug 27, 2007
    #10 pl*co, Jan 30, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2005