Does Dojo(weather) loaches go good with goldifsh???? Need some help pleaz

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Blue goldfish

AC Members
Sep 15, 2002
TN
I am about to get a 40-60gal (it's hard to tell cuz it's real long and i haven't messed with big tanks before) that will replace my goldfish's current home. I want to have a plain colored gravel substrate, really i wanted sand but i'm still thinking about it, live and plastic plants, rocks, with a Aqua clear 200 filter. The fish that will be moving into it is a 6-7in common goldfish, 5-6in Sarasa comet, and 2 2in minnows. I'm thinking about getting 1-2 dojo(weather) loaches to put in there. Will this be a problem between the loaches and the goldfish??? I may also add other fish like cories or something. I'm still planning it. Also does loaches and cories like to be in groups and in what number????

Also did i pick out the right Aqua clear?? I don't really know which one handles the 40-60gal range. Or should i get two of the smaller range filters becuz it's so long??? Thanks for any advice/comments and anything is welcome.:)

Xclaw

AC Members
Oct 20, 2002
BC, Canada
When I put my loach in with my common goldfish and a black moor goldfish the loach was attacked. It was a dojo loach and it's top fin was eaten completely off with a large chunk of the body also missing. With no other tankmates the goldfish are the culprits.

I'd advise against it but it may be that I just have a strange one (goldfish) out of the bunch. Apperantly not to many ppl have ehard of aggresive goldfish. I sure never thought they were aggressive.

Maybe try it out but watch closely to see what their behaviour is to one another.

Good luck

Cichlid Woman

Dwarf cichlids rule ...
Nov 27, 2002
central Illinois
Visit site
Couple of things:

You're at the high end of the workable range for the Aquaclear 200 in a tank over 40 gallons. I think it's a good idea, using two filters in a very long tank. How about just plunking another AC200 at the other end of the tank?

Question: Can you keep goldfish with tropical fish? "Tropical" means warm water, and goldfish are cold-water fish, right? I have cories, and I know they need a bit of heat (76% to 80% or so). Will your tank be heated, and is that okay with the goldfish?

Live plants are great(!), will do better with a small gravel than with sand. Their roots need a bit of room to grow, and sand tends to compact too tightly to allow this. Sand might have other problems, too (anaerobic pockets, etc.)--if you're thinking live plants, I'd stick with a dark, natural-colored, small (rounded, not sharp, for the cories) gravel (around 1/8" to 1/4" size would be good).

If you have live plants you'll need lighting, though. If your tank doesn't have lights, you'd have to stick with plastic.

Cories do prefer to be in groups--and they don't take up a lot of tank resources, because they stay pretty small. Five would be good for a tank your size, along with other fish.

Hope this helps.

-- Pat

mwood322

AC Members
A dojo loach should be fine in that tank. Make sure there is a cave he can hide in if the goldfish do turn out to be aggressive.

They are all cold water, I use heaters on my coldwater tanks to keep them around 70, but they're in the basement.

--Mia

Blue goldfish

AC Members
Sep 15, 2002
TN
Thanks alot for the info.:) I think i'll go with using 2 Aquaclear filters to filter the tank. I'll also stick to gravel since most plants don't do well in sand and like it goes, it can go bad on you and turn black. My goldfish aren't really aggressive, though they can get sorta pushy with newbie's in the tank. I'll make sure to have hidey holes for the loaches.
I don't heat my goldfish tanks. And this tank oddly enough, doesn't come with lighting, but that won't be a problem. I will make my own hood and put flourescent lights in it.:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store