Does my Betta have fin rot?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

random18me

AC Members
Aug 13, 2020
Belgium
Camera Used
Iphone
My Betta has a frayed tail and upper fin. There isn't any fuzzy or white or red or black discoloration around the edges, so I'm not sure if it's fin rot, or if my Betta is supposed to look like that. (I had a panda cory before that had fin rot when i got it from the fish store, and it's tail was half gone and white and fuzzy, but this doesn't look anything like that.)

My Betta's tail and fins were already frayed in the fish store. Several other Betta's had frayed tails, and I asked someone in the store if it was damage or fin rot, but they said it was normal.
I've had my Betta for about three weeks now, and the tail and fins still look the same as they did when I first got him, as far as I can tell, so if it's fin rot, it's not noticibly getting worse.
I'm only wondering if it's fin rot now, because I saw a photo of a Super Delta Betta, and my Betta doesn't look like that.

My Betta doesn't seem sick. He's very active and playful, a bit lazy sometimes, he eats very well (and he always tries to steal food from the panda corys), and he can swim very good and fast.

He's in a 50 liter/13 gallon tank with harlequin rasboras and panda corys, fake decorations with no sharp edges. They all get along very well, there is no fighting or nipping at fins. Water parameters are good now (ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate between 10 and 50 (my test strips are hard to read, but I plan on getting a liquid test kit)), but I had a pretty big nitrite spike about a week ago, because the bottled bacteria I added were awful and barely had any nitrifying bacteria, but now i've changed to a different brand and nitrite is 0.

The first picture is from in the fish store three weeks ago, the second from when he was acclimating three weeks ago, and the third picture is from today. (His color changes a bit depending on the lighting.)IMG_5634.jpgIMG_5639.jpgIMG_6256.jpg

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
That looks like finrot. Do 75% water changes with gravel vacuuming for two weeks with dechlorinated water.
If he does not get better, post more pictures.
Never trust stores, most of them don't know what they are talking about.
I also recommend you getting live plants as they have more benefits and won't rip your bettas fins.
Do you have a filter and a heater in the tank?
What size is the tank?
Water parameters?

random18me

AC Members
Aug 13, 2020
Belgium
Camera Used
Iphone
Thanks for the advise. I'll continue to do frequent water changes, and keep a close eye on him to see if anything changes. If his tail would start healing and growing longer, how long would you guess that would take to be visible?

I do plan on getting live plants, but there is currently a heat wave going on where I live, so i'd rather not get any new plants or fish in this weather, and I'd rather not mess with my aquarium too much, to make sure my aquarium doesn't overheat or have any rapid temperature changes.
The fake plants I have are very soft and silky, so I don't have to worry about my Betta ripping it's fins. I also (obsessively) checked that my decorations didn't have any rough part or sharp edges before I put them in.

My tank has a filter and a heater. It's a 50 liter (a little over 13 gallons) tank.
Length, width, height are 45cm x 30cm x 40cm (17,7inch x 11,8inch x 15,7inch).
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 25
pH: 7,2
KH: between 6°d and 10°d
GH: also between 6°d and 10°d
Cl2: 0

random18me

AC Members
Aug 13, 2020
Belgium
Camera Used
Iphone
It's about two weeks since I posted the first pictures, so I took new ones today to compare. I find it incredibly difficult to tell for sure, but I think some parts of his tail might have gotten slightly worse? It doesn't help that it's pretty much impossible to take decent pictures of him.

He still acts the same as two weeks ago. He's happy, playful, no trouble swimming or eating, so there's nothing about his behavior to indicate he's sick.

Water parameters are the same, but I got nitrates down to around 10, ammonia and nitrite still 0.

Is his tail more frayed than before, or am I being overly worried and paranoid? I'm not sure at this point, and when I asked my dad he said he thinks his tail is longer is some places, so I'm just confused. Can fin rot move this slowly, or would it go much faster and would there be a more noticible difference?

These are the best pictures I could take after trying for about 20 minutes, but I can try to take a better picture if it's not visible enough.

IMG_6588.jpgIMG_6620.jpg

random18me

AC Members
Aug 13, 2020
Belgium
Camera Used
Iphone
In previous replies I've already mentioned he's in a tank with other fish, and while I don't think my other fish are nipping his fins, I already have plans to move my Betta to a new tank, but I still have to buy it and set it up. (I've mentioned more about this in a different thread.)

Also, his fins were already like this when I first got him from the store, where he was kept on his own, so that can't have been caused by my fish nipping his fins.

I've also already mentioned that my fake plants are really soft and silky, so my Betta can't rip his fins on them, and the decorations I have don't have any sharp edges. (And I will get live plants when I get my Betta his own tank.)

Right now, I'm just trying to figure out if my Betta has fin rot, if his tail is just damaged but it's not fin rot, if it's getting worse, if I need to treat him or use medicine or something, or if it will heal on it's own.

Reactions: Sprinkle

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Understandable, I must have misread.
Do daily 75% water changes with cleaning tank walls as well as your substrate for 2 weeks and see whether this help or not. If not helping, use 1-2 tablespoons of salt per 20L and leave the salt in the tank for 2 weeks. This helped me with my betta when he had serious finrot.

random18me

AC Members
Aug 13, 2020
Belgium
Camera Used
Iphone
So, to give a quick update. I moved my Betta to a new 30 liter/8 gallon tank with live plants about a week ago. He's still happy and swims fine, but I'm pretty sure a part of his tail got a little worse, and since I now know it can't be from anything else, I'm going to start treating him for fin rot.

I have a bit of a dilemma about the best way to treat him, though.
If I use salt, I would need to put my Betta in a "hospital" tank, because the salt will probably kill/damage the plants in his tank.
If I use medecine, I can leave him in his tank, but I would need to remove the filter for a week, because my filter uses activated carbon.

I'm currently leaning towards medicine, because I think it would be less stressfull for my Betta, but I'd love to know if you think either option is significantly better or not. Either way, the soonest I can get salt or medicine is Monday, so I still have about two days to decide how I'm going to treat him.

Reactions: Sprinkle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store