Does Ro filter remove ammonia

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mikebarg

AC Members
Jan 10, 2003
texas
Visit site
My tap water has unacceptable levels of ammonia ( 3mg/l) sometimes higher. I was woundering if an RO unit removes ammonia. I have been told both Yes an No from different people at the LFS.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
I would say it does remove it...

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Is your water disinfected with chloramines? This is the likely source of the positive and harmful ammonia readings. If so, you should be using a neutralizer such as Amquel or Prime to break the chlorine-ammonia bond, neutralize the chlorine and complex the ammonia.

Last edited:

yogi

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
Hollywood,Fl
Visit site
Ammonia and ammonium are different from each other. I'm not going to go into a detailed explanation but the difference is caused by ph somewhere around 6.5 I do know r/o's do not remove ammonia. So like RTR said it's time to use Prime or Amquel. I use Prime with my r/o water because I have chloramines. If you read the bottle it says to use at half strength with low levels. So I use 1 ml per 20 to 25 gallons. You have low levels do to the fact your r/o prefilters have removed the chlorine.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Ionized ammonia(NH3) is ammonium(NH4+) and it happens at a Ph of 7.0 and lower.

RO units remove all hardness from the water, it also removes almost all dissolved gases, driving the Ph below 7.0. The ammonia turns to ammonium and 85%-95% of it is removed.

RO prefilters are likely either carbon or a mechanical strainer. Neither removes any ammonia from the water.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store