Driftwood

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
T

TnCgal

Arkylady,

I'm going to move this thread over to the General FW forum since this is not directly a beginner's question ! :)

BK

AC Members
Apr 29, 2001
WI
members.aol.com
if you are ordering several, more than 3, or are looking for larger pieces you could try www.fellerstone.com. I believe they have swahala, malasian, and cypress. i have ordered several boxes of driftwood from them and have recieved some absolutly gorgeous pieces.

cacti

AC Members
May 31, 2001
Ripon, California, USA
You can find pieces at the river or ocean in some places. Driftwood can add a lot to the natural beauty of an aquarium. I would like to get a big aquarium some day and a huge piece of driftwood to put in it. I will need a piece about7 or 8 feet long or two long pieces in conjunction and try to pick out an interesting natural piece. I will probably disinfect it with some kind of a bleech solution with water. I will probably need to use a paint brush or spray bottle to get into deep crevices. The only thing I am not real sure about would be how to weigh it down. I know I would drill big holes in the bottom of the wood and use silicon glue or something to glue rocks in it. Is there a better way? :D

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
If you collect your own driftwood, soak it in VERY salty water for a couple of weeks in a large trashcan....this will do a couple of things..

1. Sterilize and kill anything on or in the wood
2. leach the tannins from the wood reducing water discoloration when added to the tank.

After the salt soaking, you will want to scrub, scrape, and clean the wood very well to remove any dirt and soft decaying wood.
Then rinse it off well under the hose, and soak it for a few more days in clean, fresh water to remove any salt from the wood.

Most store bought driftwood is already safe to use.

wethead

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Phila. burbs
Visit site
Living in Pa. about 60-65miles from "That Fish Place" i had really good luck with thier driftwood. I'ts better if you can pick it out yourself,but i've also bought it from them out of the catalog.
You just have to be careful to order the right kind, as they handle several. The one i bought was Blue Ribbon brand "natural", no soaking required & my pleco's love it. It does'nt stain the water, & the price even with shipping is very reasonable....Rich

www.thatfishplace.com

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store