Dumb Betta question... & an Algae Eater one too...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pam Lowrey

AC Members
Mar 26, 2003
Springfield, IL
Visit site
Hi everyone,

First, I apologize to anyone whose sensibilities I may be offending by keeping a Betta in a 5 gallon tank. (It's the only size tank appropriate for my living space right now & I'm moving him up from a bowl...)

Second, here's my situation: I put him in the tank (alone) with a hollow ceramic tree root/stump figure. He seems to like it & hides inside the stump & swims around the roots. However, he's shredding his beautiful tailfin & I'm worried about it being unhealthy & causing problems. And my question(s): Is this unhealthy or am I just being paranoid? And what should I replace the tree root/stump with if I do replace it?

Third: What kind of algae eater would be appropriate to put in the tank along with him (if any)?

Thanks! :)

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Nope, nobody would be offended by you keeping a Betta in a 5g.

The shredding of the tail could be accompanied by fin rot or fungus, so you will have to keep the water absolutely pristine if you want to keep him and the tree in it. I would suggest artificial plastic plants instead.

A solitary Oto, though not completely happy kept solitarily, would be your best bet for those conditions.

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Just a bit of caution with plastic plants and bettas.... if it snags on pantyhose, it will also shred your betta's fins.... silk plants are far safer, but some plastics are OK (Be like me, you just end up looking a bit silly in a store rubbing plastic plants against a nylon sock covering your hand).

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Good point, kveeti. I guess that I should mention that my plastic plant aquascaping in my 10 gal is such that Mo can get through any part without rubbing on the plants.

Pam Lowrey

AC Members
Mar 26, 2003
Springfield, IL
Visit site
Thanks for the note of caution, kveeti. He had a little plastic plant in his bowl (the one that came with the Betta cove kit) & seemed to do fine with it. The plastic plant I bought is one of those that's supposed to be "real" looking in the water & seemed pretty smooth when I rinsed it off, but I'll keep an eye on him anyway. :rolleyes:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store