dwarf puffer tankmates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kees&fish

AC Members
Feb 11, 2005
NE Wisconsin
We have with our two dwarf puffers, 3 emerald green cories. They all get along fine without a problem. The cories lay eggs about every two months or so. The puffers eat the eggs. They are in a 20g tank.

Aries

"Umm...., what is that!!??"
Jan 19, 2003
Ohio, Dayton
Visit site
RTR said:
Most DPs ignore Otos, many also ignore shrimp, but not all. Other than those there are not a lot of choices. Fish which are fast enough to always evade the DPs also are fast enough to deprive the DPs of food, so still not a good choice. Most puffers are and should be species-tank fish IMHO and IME.
Agreed!!! THe ONLY tankmate I would keep are ottos. BUT (and this is a big butt), DP's are as unique as you and me. While most will ignore ottos, some will kill them. It all depends on what their personality is.

I love my DP's. Especially when they hunt a snail or worm :Angel: . I have 3 ottos with two DP's in a 5.5G. The DP's are male and female.

Obviously the bigger the tank the better if you have tank mates - but these little guys are little devils :D

Good Luck

Aries

jsamps

AC Members
Oct 20, 2009
What about a striped raphael catfish? They are nocturnal, so wouldnt be around the puffer all the time, and they have a protective "armor" for lack of a better word, that may protect them from in a puffer attack.

I'm thinking about putting one in with my dwarf puffer, any thoughts?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store