Dying Danio

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lethalp

AC Members
Jan 1, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
HeLP!! READ PLEASE

In my 2.5 tank I have 3 danios and a small pleco. One of my danios is on the bottom of the tank and not moving much. I have 0 amonia and 0 nitrate and I feed once a day. What should I be looking for and are the others safe?

Last edited:

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
Is it 0 Nitr-I-te or Nitr-A-te? If its nitrAte, you could still be in the midst of your nitrIte spike. NitrIte (NO2) and NitrAte (NO3) are two different chemicals. The NitrIte is much more toxic.

The normal course of the cycle is NH3 (ammonia) > NO2 (nitrIte) > NO3 (nitrAte). Since you've only been cycling since Christmas, this kind of early to be fully through a fishy cycle. On the other hand, NitrAtes are the end product of the cycle, you should start seeing them accumulate (unless your too early in the NitrIte spike and the NitrAtes just haven't started accumulating yet).

If it is NitrIte poisoning, then water cahnges will help drop down the concentration. So long as there are some the bacteria will continue to grow. Water changes will help the fish and do NOT slow down the cycle. One symptom of nitrIte poisoning is a darkening and dulling of the gills. They should be blood red (under the flaps), not brownish.

A little bit of salt (maybe a teaspoon) may also help reduce NitrIte toxicity. Please confirm that its NitrItes and not -trAtes first.

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
That is too many fish for such a small tank, especially zebra danios which are extremely active. I would consider getting another tank. Also, what kind of pleco do you have because if it is a common pleco, it will get to be over a foot long.

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
NJ -- this is the same lethalp who is doing the fishless on the 29 in the other thread. But agreed, common plecos will get too big for a 29. Some of the varieties stay smaller. Corys are probably a better common cat for small tanks (and for my money cuter, too :) ).

And the plecos are notorious waste producers: it could be throwing a lot of toxins into the tank. Small tanks are notoriously hard to keep for just this reason -- everything has a much bigger impact with so little water to dilute into.

Last edited:

lethalp

AC Members
Jan 1, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
opps I done something way wrong

I tested again get my facts straight. I must have done something wrong. I have nitrAte of 80 on both of the 2.5g tanks and NitrIte of 3.0 on the tank that had the danio, (yep he died:( ) and 80 on the other one. I assume I should do at least a 50% change immediatly, anything else? Help help help!! Oh, also, not sure what kind of pleco he is I just got a very small one, not very flashy, does that help?

lethalp

AC Members
Jan 1, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
I guess it hasn't cycled fully yet, huh? Live (kill) and learn........what now. I have had both tanks since a week before christmas, fish in them since Dec. 29th

Twilight

AC Members
Sep 9, 2002
Born in the USA
Let tank fully cycle.....add salt during and watersoftner during cycle.....then add fish after cycle. Do not too many fish at once the first time or it'll screw up the cycle. Nitrates and amonia will go up if add too many fish at once and if ad too many fish to a too small tank.

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
Uh-oh....

Small brownish black pleco, not flashy, yep, you've got a future monster on your hands. His granddad lives in the Alcatraz aquarium at my lfs: he's over 2 feet....

Plecos can grow up to an inch a month (much like other catfish species...). You might want to find a new home for him (or invest in a MUCH larger tank.... Alcatraz is 250 gallons and the monster pleco is a bit big for it, even, he has a mouth the size of a large coffee mug...)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Sorry to hear about the danio....you're right though. Live and learn (and possibly lose fish) when fishy-cycling....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store