easiest fish to breed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

neontetraking

AC Members
May 16, 2020
Earth
Real Name
Jake
I was wondering what the easiest fish to breed was. Bisides guppies. Can you also tell me how to breed them?

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Hmmm... platies? Then mollies? Then swordtails? Haha...

Apparently bristlenose plecos are relatively easy to breed, no experience myself though.

Reactions: Amazoniantanklvr

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Endler's Livebearers are pretty easy.

;)

neontetraking

AC Members
May 16, 2020
Earth
Real Name
Jake
I have had no luck with endlers livebearers

London

AC Members
Jun 1, 2020
Have you thought about zebra danios? They were the first fish I bred, and the info below could also be applied to some other danio species.

First thing is to sex the fish - if they’re in prime breeding condition, this should be quite clear- but can depend on variety! So I’ve included a few things to look for below:

The females will be larger than the male, with a rounded belly indicating she’s carrying eggs.Body colouration silver with blue stripes, and pale yellow fins.

The males will be smaller with a more streamlined body. They will be darker in colour (possibly viewed more gold/purple) with blue stripes, with golden fins.

If you look at the female from the side, you might be able to see the egg depositor in front of the anal fin (this is only present on the female). If you look at the male from above you might be able to see breeding tubercles on its pectoral fins (these are only present on the male).

I would use a separate tank for breeding with mesh or gravel over the base for the eggs to fall through where the parents can’t get them.

Add fish in good breeding condition to the tank in the evening - you can put one male and one female, if you put more fish I would add more females than males as the males may decide to focus on sparring off with each other instead of breeding!

Danios will typically lay their eggs at first light in the morning - you’ll see the male chasing and pressing against the female.

Once this is done (or light has been up for a few hours), remove the adult fish from the tank.

Hope this helps!

London

neontetraking

AC Members
May 16, 2020
Earth
Real Name
Jake
thanks

angelcraze

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
How much room do you have? BN plecos are the easiest fish I have. They breed and have babies without any intervention from me.

Oh and neocaridina shrimp!

Kribensis are very easy too, the parents do all the work haha!

Actually I should ask what your water hardness is. I assumed since livebearers don't fair well, maybe your tap is soft.

Reactions: the loach

neontetraking

AC Members
May 16, 2020
Earth
Real Name
Jake
20 gallon. I also have a couple smaller tanks with sponge filters. I can always set them up for babies

angelcraze

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
20 gallon. I also have a couple smaller tanks with sponge filters. I can always set them up for babies
Ok I wouldn't do the BN plecos then just bc I would want more room for 2 of them. Also will you be keeping other fish in the tank, or just focusing on a breeding pair (group)?

neontetraking

AC Members
May 16, 2020
Earth
Real Name
Jake
I am working on a community tank in the 20 gallon. I also have the ten gallons at the ready.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store