EBJDs ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Hey gang. I have always wanted one (or 2) of these, not to breed, just to keep, but I never had a big enough tank. I just moved (a while ago) my L240 colony into a 75 gal and was thinking of adding 1 or 2 EBJDs. The 240s have not bred, although they are certainly big enough. Any thoughts on keeping these together ? I have done a little research on the JDs,and am doing more all the time. I was thinking perhaps 2 males ? Or should I just stick with 1 ? Been looking to purchase larger sized fish, but so far no luck. The tank is BB, and I realize if the 240s do breed, I will have trouble keeping the fry alive. Love to hear some input on these. Thanx.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
From what I've read EBJD's are more docile then there regular counterparts. Also they don't tend to normally get as big. As with most animals though aquatic or terrestrial keeping two males together is usually a no no. Dominance comes to play and with them being confined one usually becomes overly stressed or dead. I would stick with a solo male. Also with the EBJD and the L240's you'll be pushing the bio-load to it's limits depending on filtration you may be over or may be slightly under. Also depends on how big your colony is. If your pleco's happen to breed then you have to either relocate the EBJD or the pleco fry.

If I was in your shoes I honestly wouldn't attempt this only because in the off chance that the pleco's do breed now it's a scramble of what to do with the EBJD. I think there awesome looking fish and would look nice hovering over that colony but if babies are there they will be eaten. Also a big cichlid always hevering over head may stress the pleco's enough to prevent them from breeding. Just my 2 cents though.

The Dave

AC Members
Jul 26, 2016
western Massachusetts
www.youtube.com
Real Name
David Creque
I would not place two male EBJD s in the same tank, that would be cruel. I would not go male / female unless you intended to breed them and were going to remove everything else.
Yes, they are a little smaller, and as far as being less docile. . . not so much, but each fish has its own personality. You may enjoy this video.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store