Electric Blue Jack Dempseythread on MFK

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bongox3

AC Members
Nov 25, 2013
Lol....ok...did they mention what type of frozen foods and/or how they're fed? Not doubting you a bit, just hadn't heard that before.... I stay away from live food, except occasional worms or other insects... But didn't think frozen foods to be a problem is served at room or water temp...

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
They didn't delve to deeply into what live they were feeding other than to say not to do it but they did say they used to feed thawed frozen blood worms and peas and over half of the batch would die. After changing to crushed flake, fresh peas, and something else(can't remember) they had very few deaths(less than 75%)

It could be that they had a genetically weaker breeding pair but that was what they shared.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

Bongox3

AC Members
Nov 25, 2013
Ok got it... Mine have done well with a varied mixture - flakes from kens fish food (variety including earthward, meat, cichlid mix, spriula (sp?)... Along with thawed brine shrimp, glass worms, krill, blood worms (not too often), beef heart (not too often), brine shrimp/spur mix, a veggie or omnivore mix, and a cichlid mix... Blood worms (frozen or live) can cause stomach duress if given too often or in too large quantity... Perhaps the same is true with the peas.... I've raised my ebjd since they were slightly above the fry stage ... With my seven I've had no losses... Also raised ebr, German blue rams, and in the past bolivan rams successfully with the same varied mix... Additionally, by manipulating the frequency of certain combos of the above foods w/ temp I've also have brought about increased breeding with numerous different cichlids and hoping to do the same with the ebjd and emerald Grn jack I have - keeping my fingers crossed... For luck, lol...

Along with the above I occasionally throw in live caught insects and varied sized pellets... Maybe it's me, but the fish I have seem to respond better to varied diets... Especially my jacks and in the past oscars...

My only rule no live LFS feeders....

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store