Electric Blue Ram

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Shaina

Registered Member
Oct 25, 2018
Hey there
I recently brought two Electric Blue Rams ( pretty sure it’s a pair ) however upon inspection I realised the male (I think) has a bent fin. I saw it when he was in the bag so I’m assuming he was injured when he was caught in the pet store. He seems fine, a bit shy but he eats fine. Just wondering if there’s anything I can do for him? In the picture it’s his bottom black fin. Thanks!

B9BEDAF2-6F2B-48A5-BC2A-A0B5265FAA9F.png

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Do you mean the dorsal (top) fin? The very front toward the head does seem a bit bent, but it shouldn't interfere with his ability to be fully functional male. He seems male to me based on his long dark edged ventral fins.

Can you post a pic of your "female"? It can be a challenge to sex some "electric blue" fish...

Reactions: Shaina

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
He has a split between the first and second pectoral finray on the right (passengers side ;-) )
If it happened during catching it will heal again. It might be a genetic flaw though, either way it's no concern. Seems healthy enough.

Reactions: Shaina

Shaina

Registered Member
Oct 25, 2018
Do you mean the dorsal (top) fin? The very front toward the head does seem a bit bent, but it shouldn't interfere with his ability to be fully functional male. He seems male to me based on his long dark edged ventral fins.

Can you post a pic of your "female"? It can be a challenge to sex some "electric blue" fish...
Hey thanks for the reply. No it’s his bottom fin. I’m pretty sure it’s a breeding pair because the ‘female’ is smaller than him and they seem very affectionate towards each other. The two electric blues have claimed the submarine in my tank and are spending a lot of time in there :)

Here’s a pic of her

63587B52-7251-453D-9E62-E235761BD8E8.png

Shaina

Registered Member
Oct 25, 2018
He has a split between the first and second pectoral finray on the right (passengers side ;-) )
If it happened during catching it will heal again. It might be a genetic flaw though, either way it's no concern. Seems healthy enough.
Hey thanks for the reply.
He seems totally fine now. He’s very protective over his missus :) I have two German Blue Rams in my tank who coincidentally also seem to be a pair and the two males have started bickering tirelessly and annoying each other as much as they can. One will chase the other dude’s female and that will set them off and they’re racing around the tank with their fins flared so the injury sure isn’t hindering him. My females get along just fine however.
Here’s a pic of my ladies hanging out

470198F8-2F62-4BA7-89F9-510D8E4EA803.png

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think your "second fish" is a female...so all should be ok.

Keep up with water changes...That will help with healing & breeding. Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store