Embarking on the discovery of rift lake cichlids.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pearl

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
Michigan
Real Name
Vicki
Depends on how many shellie pairs you want. A 4' tank is alright for 3 species (or pairs/trios depending on the fish in question) of substrate spawners provided you arrange it right.
Caudopunks are a little fish with a big attitude. An established pair would likely be alright, but you may have difficulty finding a bonded pair or establishing a pair from a group. They're not quite as difficult to pair off as occies, but nothing like transcriptus. As far as that goes, definitely avoid the "Gombe" variant of the Julie clan. They're murder on conspecifics. The "Bemba" transcriptus are the smallest amd most mellow of the clan, I highly recommend those for a smaller community tank.
If you really love the marunguensis give them a tank of their own, minimum of 20 gallons for a breeding pair, larger would be better. Something (in another tank) to eat the excess fry would also be wise, because they will quickly overcrowd anything smaller than a 75 with several spawns. Been there, done that with a closely related species that were less aggressive and/or productive (regarding spawn size) than brichardi. Started them in a 55 community, ended up in a 38, and finally got rid of them completely.

Well, I am currently cycling a 20 gallon tank. To be honest, I was thinking that I might just use the 20 gallon for the meleagris and devote the 45 to the marunguensis and a calvus or two to eat the excess fry. Or maybe I'll try the meleagris, compunctatus and transcriptus in the 45.

Thank you for all your advice, Todd. Also, what is the difference between a Gombe and a Bemba julie. Does it have to do with regions? (I am such a newbie when it comes to cichlids.)

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Gombe and Bemba are collection sites, rift lake cichlids are often named that way. Thing is, the Gombe variant has been reclassified from a transcriptus to a marlieri species, but since that was the original name it lingers. They're a dwarf species, females (the larger sex) grow to about 3", but much more aggressive in general than the Bemba variant.
I had 2 different groups of the Gombe, 1 group in a 55 community and the others in a 29 some months later. I ended up with a single survivor from each group that had killed off the others. Ironically, one was male, the other female, and they did pair off when I eventually moved the younger male into the 55. I was cleaning the tank one day and found a single fry, the sole survivor of their brood. I was afraid to turn it loose back into the tank since I'd rearranged everything, and placed it in a floating plastic breeder to grow out a bit. After it grew to about 2-2.5 times the size it was when I found it (still quite small, maybe 1") it went over the wall. Apparently it was simply tired of the confined space, even though it had gravel and cover (small plastic plants) in there. The wee bugger grew to an adult, but I never found any more fry or indications the pair had spawned again. I finally sold all 3 of them, along with a group of Paracyp's, to another hobbyist who had a much larger tank for them all.

Pearl

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
Michigan
Real Name
Vicki
Gombe and Bemba are collection sites, rift lake cichlids are often named that way. Thing is, the Gombe variant has been reclassified from a transcriptus to a marlieri species, but since that was the original name it lingers. They're a dwarf species, females (the larger sex) grow to about 3", but much more aggressive in general than the Bemba variant.
I had 2 different groups of the Gombe, 1 group in a 55 community and the others in a 29 some months later. I ended up with a single survivor from each group that had killed off the others. Ironically, one was male, the other female, and they did pair off when I eventually moved the younger male into the 55. I was cleaning the tank one day and found a single fry, the sole survivor of their brood. I was afraid to turn it loose back into the tank since I'd rearranged everything, and placed it in a floating plastic breeder to grow out a bit. After it grew to about 2-2.5 times the size it was when I found it (still quite small, maybe 1") it went over the wall. Apparently it was simply tired of the confined space, even though it had gravel and cover (small plastic plants) in there. The wee bugger grew to an adult, but I never found any more fry or indications the pair had spawned again. I finally sold all 3 of them, along with a group of Paracyp's, to another hobbyist who had a much larger tank for them all.
Wow. That's one helluva story. I'll be sure to grill the people at my favorite lfs before I buy a transcriptus.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
ID is simple; Gombe are black/yellow, Bemba are black/white. Here's a few pics of some juvie Bemba I picked up at a CCA meeting auction. These pics don't show the beautiful blue edges on their dorsal, pelvic, and anal fins. I have 6 in a 40 gallon tank, not even a split fin among them.
For reference, the ramshorn in the first pic (bottom/right) is about the size of a small pea or a BB:

Najas indica on the right, the clump bottom/left is subwassertang:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store