Empire Gudgeon jumped out of tank!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DenDen

Registered Member
Feb 18, 2022
So my tank is custom made, no lid. Was the only decently large but wide instead of tall tank they had in the place, which is the only thing that'd work with my apartment.
Anyway, I bought some Empire Gudgeon and the big one, presumably male, jumped out of the tank. It stated on one of the sites i researched them on (maybe even the site I bought it from) that they have a tendency to do that when you first introduce them to the tank, but since my tank is in the lounge i figured I'd be there to put it back in if it tried.
Clever bastard did it while I was washing dishes. I only found him by pure luck too, didn't hear him or see when I came back to the lounge, was because I wanted to grab a book from the cupboard that the tank rests on.
Anyway, he was very still and presumed dead, mouth open and no movement i could see. After cursing his name i went to grab a bag to pick him up with. Once I did, he began to thrash about. Relieved and in a panic I ran back to the tank and dumped him back in.
That was a few hours ago and he's fine now, back to swimming and not swimming up and down the sides looking for an escape anymore.

Just wondering though, do they have a tendency to do it more than once? Do i need to put cling wrap on the top of the fish tank (with air holes/cracks) until I feel like i can trust him again?
Thank you!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Id put some cling wrap until you can get an acrylic sheet or glass lid.
They can jump random times even after being settled in, so better safe than sorry.
They can jump for many reasons, even the unexpected species you wouldn't expect to jump (ive had a pleco jump)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, I'm not a rimless topless fan. My 1 foray, a custom 40g long looked great. But tiny <1 inch loaches jumped (& died). & mystery snails climbed up & out. They fell onto wood floors with a ping pong ball sound so I knew to rescue them. I had a glass top & support made for it.

Any fish may jump. When I had a fish sitter once a roseline shark jumped out. She just picked it up & put it back, all fine. I think it was startled by a different feeder, they never did it again.

If you have tall or floating plants that can help fish know where the water surface is & not be so jumpy IME. Are Empire gudgeons salty or brackish? I don't think you can have plants then, but I may be wrong...not somethig I've tried. Maybe try java ferns?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store