ever play follow the leader with your fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Fish cannot see red. That why people use "red lights" to see their nocturnal fish at night. If the fish could see the red spectrum, the nocturnal fish would not come out.

roper930

AC Members
Feb 6, 2002
Nebraska
pages.ivillage.com
I have a red pointer laser, too, for my psycho cat who will climb the walls trying to chase afer it. It's hard to keep your finger on the button when you're laughing so hard! :D
Anyway, I shined it into the tanks once and sure enough, the fishes took chase. They all tried to eat and catch it....

So, if they can't see red, how could this be....?

Beth

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
dont know? I know when I asked about seeing nocturnal fish at night, people always suggested having a red light because they cant see red light. So i dont know?

Hatter

Elk Grove Village, IL
No Red?

Birds, fish and many other mammals perceive the full spectrum. Some insects, especially bees, can see ultraviolet colors invisible to the human eye. In fact, color camouflage, one of nature's favorite survival mechanisms, depends on the ability of the predator to distinguish colors. The predator is expected to be fooled by the color matching of the prey. Until recently, it was thought that dogs didn't see any color at all. Recent studies now show, however, that dogs can differentiate between red and blue and can even pick out subtle differences in shades of blue and violet.

http://www.pantone.com/products/products.asp?idArticle=111&idArea=16

This is a link I pulled up with a google search, the text above it is from that link. True? I don't know.

What I do know is that my fish swim away when I shine a red-lensed flashlight at them, but not as fast as they do when I use a normal "white" flashlight. They can see the red light, it's just not as harsh to them IMO. Wetman brings up a good point as well...some species use red to "display" during courtship, why would they do this if it wouldn't be seen?

If you can show me otherwise, I would like to see it. I've always been curious about this, so prove me wrong!

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
They have red colouring doesn't mean they can see red,octopus see black and white yet the can change into that exact colour except for 2 different colours of the same intensity,fish should be the same,that's why dogs can differentiate red and blue,probably because intensity were different

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store