Experience with panda garra?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Obelisk

AC Members
Feb 19, 2009
I've been wanting to set up a 20 gallon for a single or a pair of bottom dwellers. I'm thinking about getting either a BN pleco or Panda Garra. However, I do live in south FL, and the tank I have in my room is currently at 81 F. I guess these temps would be too high for Garra flavatra?

f1sleepy

AC Members
Mar 25, 2012
Southern CA
Real Name
James
I've never kept mine in water higher than 78 degrees and that wasn't for very long at that so I couldn't tell you for sure. Having said that, I would think if you provide a decent flow with good oxygen levels, you could likely acclimate them to the 80 degree range. They are a pretty hardy fish that's easy to care for. The nice thing is that they will spend time at all levels of your tank.

I plan on putting a couple of my juvies in my 75G tall that is kept at about 79-80 degrees and see how they do. I'll let you know if they like it or not.

Obelisk

AC Members
Feb 19, 2009
Yeah, definitely keep us updated if you try that out. So far, I haven't been able to find a consistent recommended temperature range for panda garras.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
My fish room has reached 95 degrees, with water temps almost that high. I lost a bunch of Cryptoheros nanoluteus from the heat, but the Pandas made it through without incident.

Obelisk

AC Members
Feb 19, 2009
Yeah, it seems that they're more tolerant of higher temps than I thought. At first I was thinking they're temp requirements would be like that of other cyprinids or mountainous species.

jawasnack

Live plants and fish make you smile
Dec 8, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Gary
I had two for a couple months in a 10gal tank that was very heavily planted and didn't have much room. I found one of them dead after I came home from work one afternoon :( so I decided to move the other one into my 36gal tank which I keep at 78-79degrees. That panda garra has been doing great for the last 4 months now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store