Favorite easy low light plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
I have a 75G Marineland setup. I have the LED light that came with it which is 6400K per Marineland website. So far I have amazon swords which are doing well. I want to get some driftwood(haven’t found any good locals wood yet) and lots of low maintenance plants. What are your favorite easy low light plants? I have pool filter sand as substrate.

D242B35B-A9B9-4409-8BB5-6C5288B104D1.jpeg

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would add some root tabs to the sand and fill with a variety of crypts.

If you get some wood you like, glue some bucefelandra and Nana or smaller anubias

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If you want local, the tissue cultured stuff from Petco or PetsMart aren't bad as long as you don't have anything that will pull them up as they root.

My mailorder needs are normally filled by primarily Hanaquatics.com or buceplant.com

I will buy/trade or whatever from the 2 localish plant clubs (in my case NJAGC and GWAPA)... I think you used to be closest to CAPS in chicago? They are pretty good people.

Or just trade with folks. Everything of mine looks pretty ragged at the moment.. or you would be welcome to a bunch of it.

Reactions: DaisyTattoo

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, I saw you have a local club. Join & see what you can get. It'll likely be used to your water conditions.

Where abouts do you live? I'm on the west coast, SF Bay area; dougall in the middle East coast. Big cities, even once in a while, can be great. Road trips are fun!

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
I’m in central Illinois. I got my 2 amazon swords from petsmart, which unfortunately, seems to be my best option at this point. Local fish club page has almost no movement in the last year and LFS is terrible.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Take a trip to Chicago, join CAPS, they are a great group of people.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You might also look at Craig's List or Nextdoor or whatever local (ish) site you may have. Hobbyists may put up their plants (or angels), I've seen some on my local boards. Not any that beat my plant club, lol.

& I agree with dougall, a road trip to the big city might be fun & you may find some closer than you imagine.

There's always mail order, but you'll need a list of plants you want & who might have all or most of them to make shipping worthwhile.

We can help with plants you might try...maybe tomorrow. I don't have LEDs so I'm not as helpful as some here. There are lots!! you probably can grow.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yep. Plant selection is nil at my LFSs. They'll sometimes have bunches of mislabeled plants floating in tanks with little/no lighting is about it.

I'm no staging expert, but that sword is too centered for me. Plus that very low suction strainer on your HOB filter is going to draw in sand and ruin the impeller.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Good point, Joel! I hadn't noticed that low intake, it might only need sponge prefilter to help...but it's awfully low, especially with sand.

I think the sand will level out soon but still...the intake is probably too low.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store