Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Female molly has a large belly but won't give birth

Discussion in 'General Freshwater' started by fIsHy13, May 5, 2006.

1. fIsHy13

fIsHy13 not a troll

Sep 26, 2006
    One of my female molly fish has had a father large belly for about a month now. At first i thought she was pregant, and then she slimmed down. So i checked in the tank for any fry but there where none. She has recently gotten very big again. I haven't seen her mating with the only other male in the tank. She swims normally. What could it be? Could she be preggers and for some reason won't give birth?

2. mtiller

mtiller wolf-pac

Aug 20, 2010
    is she eating your other fish's food? may be over-eating. also could possibly be that fry were born but quickly eaten (happened to me years ago when i kept mollies), or that they were absorbed because of possibly a lack of nutrition or stress during labor?

3. Eyecare

Eyecare Registered Member

May 5, 2006
    If you want her to have a large family, you could encourage good eating by hatching some brine shrimp and giving it to the fish.
    They are very easy to hatch, and teh fish go bonkers over them.

4. fIsHy13

fIsHy13 not a troll

Sep 26, 2006
    oh its not that i want her to have lots of fry, quite the opposite. If she has rinsorbed them or whatever you said, will it harm her?
    by the way, i'm quite sure she is not overeating.

5. mtiller

mtiller wolf-pac

Aug 20, 2010
    i could not imagine so, her stomach would just go down and the gravid spot would slowly disappear, or she could give birth prematurely from stress, but i'm sure since she's been in the tank longer before she was preggy that now it couldn't be from stress, or did u move her into another tank? the gestation period lasts a while, 3-4 weeks from what i read. i don't know if you can see the gravid spot on mollies as you can with guppies but is there anyway you can tell if she was preggy to begin with?

6. fIsHy13

fIsHy13 not a troll

Sep 26, 2006
    she is mottled with dark black spots (dalmation molly) so i can't tell if she has a gravid spot.

7. fIsHy13

fIsHy13 not a troll

Sep 26, 2006
    Someone plaease help!

8. mtiller

mtiller wolf-pac

Aug 20, 2010
    well google pregnant mollies for pics and compare and contrast, what did you feed her? it's possible she's still constipated and hasn't passed the waste yet. i've read tubifex worms can cause constipation if fed in excess.

9. dorkfish

dorkfish AC Members

Sep 15, 2014
    look down at the fish from above the water next time she gets "fat". if it's evenly fat on both sides than she's pregnant, if not, you've got some digestion or internal paraiste problems (well you don't have the problem, she doe's).

10. fIsHy13

fIsHy13 not a troll

Sep 26, 2006
    good news- she has given birth! i found the fry this morning and placed them in a breeding net. She looks a bit slimmer now. I am relieved!